Windows 11 ready - TPM Enabled - Hash Check Error

Everything related to MakeMKV
DudeItsRob

Windows 11 ready - TPM Enabled - Hash Check Error

Post by DudeItsRob »

Hey everybody, long time lurker here. I just wanted to give everybody a heads up, as this may save some headache for others. Recently Windows 11 was announced and of course like many others, I downloaded the tool to see if I can run Windows 11. I enabled TPM in bios, and I was Windows 11 ready - yay, right? Well, if you can see where this is going then no - not yay. A few days later I started ripping some blu-rays to be greeted by "Hash check error, file corrupted" among numerous hash check errors for EVERY-SINGLE DISK I tried.

Of course by now I'm angry, I tried my other optical drive (this PC has two) - same problem. Other PC would rip them without issue, so at this point I know it isn't the disk - so I replaced my optical drive with another one I had laying around and still nope. I thought there's no way I can have three bad optical drives... and finally I remembered enabling TPM in bios. Disabled it, and problems were gone.

I hope that there will be a work around before Windows 11 is released with a future MakeMkv update. I won't be upgrading to Windows 11 until I know that MakeMkv is compatible.

tldr: Makemkv is not compatible with TPM enabled in bios [At least not with Auros X570 Master 1.2 motherboard].

EDIT: The above was just a fluke. The issue came back and I discovered that I had a bad RAM module. The RAM only reported two errors during MemTest86's "Hammer Test" but after replacing the RAM the issue is gone.
Last edited by DudeItsRob on Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZU476B72N4PC

Re: Windows 11 ready - TPM Enabled - Hash Check Error

Post by ZU476B72N4PC »

That is very bizarre, not sure what's going on there. Presence of a TPM by itself should not affect the operation of MakeMKV. By any chance did you enable BitLocker after turning on the TPM? Perhaps temporary files during ripping are failing a hash check either before or after encryption of that file.

I have used MakeMKV on systems with both hardware TPM and Intel PTT without problems. (Though I haven't tried with AMD fTPM like your board has. Have you tried latest BIOS F33 with AGESA 1.2.0.2?)
DudeItsRob

Post by DudeItsRob »

I don't use BitLocker and don't have it enabled, and I can confirm that I was running the current BIOS F33. I suppose it is possible some sort of temporary file could have caused the error but I haven't tried to recreate the problem since. Deactivating fTPM seemed to get everything back to normal.
kristek

Post by kristek »

This is still an issue, any updates?
babypuncher

Post by babypuncher »

I don't think this is an issue specific to TPM or Windows 11. I upgraded to Windows 11 a few weeks ago and have had no issues ripping standard or 4K blu ray disks with makemkv.

I've also run with TPM 2.0 and BitLocker enabled for years.
DudeItsRob

Post by DudeItsRob »

kristek wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:32 am
This is still an issue, any updates?
Sorry for the late response. Turned out I had bad RAM.