Ripping tv series

Everything related to MakeMKV
cyberwasp

Ripping tv series

Post by cyberwasp »

First I want to thank those who have helped me in the past to learn how to accomplish this. I know have several movies on my Synology disk station.

I'm currently ripping a TV series, "Eureka," from dvd to mp4. I did the first disk which came out perfect, However when Makemkv rips it, it becomes 1 long show instead of 3 or 4 individual episodes. So in order to watch it, you have to watch the whole mp4, "via handbrake." Is there a way to break it into the individual episodes or a different way to rip them? TIA
d00zah

Re: Ripping tv series

Post by d00zah »

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

As mentioned, mkvtoolnix is one way. I go directly to having handbrake doing the splitting, because I'm also going for better compression.

Just wait until you find a disk that is "SD on BD", standard definition on a Bluray disk. 24+ episodes per file are common.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cyberwasp

Post by cyberwasp »

I wish I kept up with programming. I'd write one the did everything needed in one click. lol, Thanks everyone!!
cyberwasp

Post by cyberwasp »

It works but I need more studying. Like I have 3 episodes on 1 disk and I tried watching the disk and entering the start stop times but geesh.
Like I said, someone needs to write an all in one program that rips, splits and MP4s them
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

cyberwasp wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:30 pm
It works but I need more studying. Like I have 3 episodes on 1 disk and I tried watching the disk and entering the start stop times but geesh.
Like I said, someone needs to write an all in one program that rips, splits and MP4s them
No chapters? More straight forward IMO.

BTW All the tools have a command line options. Script a solution. Others have (but haven't necessarily shared). I suspect each case, however, may be unique.
cyberwasp

Post by cyberwasp »

d00zah wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:37 pm
No chapters? More straight forward IMO.

BTW All the tools have a command line options. Script a solution. Others have (but haven't necessarily shared). I suspect each case, however, may be unique.
Sorry, am new to ripping a series. I found the VIDEO_TS directory. In it is a couple video_ts.ifo files. There's also others in the root of the cd.

Eureka>video_ts>VTS_01.ifo and VTS_02.ifo
AlsoWhen I hopen each in mkvtools it list 4 in each.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Even when there are chapters it can be a pain. Some series always use X chapters per episode, except that the first episode of a season has X+1 chapters (extra for "previously on" lead-ins), and X-1 or -2 on end of series episodes (no "next time"). Viewing the file in a player that will tell you what the current chapter is as you skip through is tedious, but most accurate. And some series have multiple "next time" segments, used for different markets.

Or series that have a "director's cut" episode, where lots of scenes are spliced in (ST:TNG's "Measure of a Man", where 8 minutes were added to only the BD version). Neither chapter count nor episode length in seconds works when this happens.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
cyberwasp

Post by cyberwasp »

After more research I figured out a way to rip into an mp4 without using makemkv just handbrake. Will be doing it this way till someone invents an all in one program and includes a menu to jump to each episode!!! :D
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

cyberwasp wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:29 pm
Will be doing it this way till someone invents an all in one program and includes a menu to jump to each episode!!! :D
In perpetuity, I Imagine. :D Glad you got it sorted.