James Bond collection DVD, Dr. No wont read. Will patching the drive help?

Everything related to MakeMKV
Laurence5905

James Bond collection DVD, Dr. No wont read. Will patching the drive help?

Post by Laurence5905 »

Here's my log when I try to read this disc:

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.16.3 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 has length of 14 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #7 was added (1 cell(s), 0:00:32)
Title #8/1 has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8/2 has length of 16 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8/3 was added (4 cell(s), 0:00:46)
Title #8/4 was added (3 cell(s), 0:00:34)
Title #8/5 has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8/6 has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8/7 has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8/8 has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8/9 has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #8/10 has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cells 33-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #11 was added (32 cell(s), 1:49:21)
Title #13 has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 30 seconds and was therefore skipped
Cells 2-end were skipped due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Title #15 was added (1 cell(s), 0:01:42)
Audio stream #0 looks empty and was skipped
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.05' at offset '32768'
 repeat the above error message 35 more times
Audio stream #0 looks empty and was skipped
Encountered 36 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/dvdread/
Operation successfully completed
When it's done reading, there is no actual movie file in there, just some short title sequences that you see when you play the disc...

The disc is not dirty and the drive is not broken -- the entire movie plays in VLC just fine in this drive on this computer. Clearly the problem has something to do with copy-protection.

I figure a LibreDrive firmware patch will help, but I cannot figure out how to install the patch...

This is my drive's info:

Drive Information
OS device name: \Device\CdRom0
Current profile: DVD-ROM
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE WH14NS40
Revision: 1.05
Serial number: KLMJ7HC1010
Firmware date: 2120-05-06 14:44
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 68

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.05
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)
In the patch .zip file, there is a .BIN file named HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH14NS40-NS50-1.05-NM00900-212005061444, and I assume that's the correct file based on my drive's model number above, but there are no instructions on HOW to install this firmware... There's no EXE file in there to read the .BIN file and write it to the drive. So how do I copy the .BIN file over to the drive? I have searched this forum for about an hour now with no luck.

So, do I have the correct .BIN file named above? Will it help my issue? And how do I install that .BIN file?

Thanks,
Laurence MacNeill
Ball Ground, Georgia, USA
Woodstock

Re: James Bond collection DVD, Dr. No wont read. Will patching the drive help?

Post by Woodstock »

Patching RARELY affects read errors. The drive's electronics just cannot pick out the bits on the disk.

Have you read through the topic in the bluray section about read errors? It applies to DVDs, too.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055 <-- the rip errors post

In your log, the telling error is this one:

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40 1.05' at offset '32768'
That error means the drive was unable to correctly read a portion of the disc. When you play the disc in a movie player, they plow past most read errors; you're unlikely to notice a tiny error in a frame or two of a movie. MakeMKV is attempting to correctly read all the bits of the movie so as to make a 'perfect' copy of the disc.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Laurence5905 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:56 pm

When it's done reading, there is no actual movie file in there, just some short title sequences that you see when you play the disc...

The disc is not dirty and the drive is not broken -- the entire movie plays in VLC just fine in this drive on this computer. Clearly the problem has something to do with copy-protection.

I figure a LibreDrive firmware patch will help, but I cannot figure out how to install the patch...

In the patch .zip file, there is a .BIN file named HL-DT-ST-BD-RE_WH14NS40-NS50-1.05-NM00900-212005061444, and I assume that's the correct file based on my drive's model number above, but there are no instructions on HOW to install this firmware... There's no EXE file in there to read the .BIN file and write it to the drive. So how do I copy the .BIN file over to the drive? I have searched this forum for about an hour now with no luck.

So, do I have the correct .BIN file named above? Will it help my issue? And how do I install that .BIN file?

Thanks,
Laurence MacNeill
look at my guide linked below it has how to videos and everything not sure how you did not find it
but as others said patching it wont fix it you probably just need to clean the disc even if it looks perfect
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Laurence5905

Post by Laurence5905 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:11 am
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055 <-- the rip errors post

In your log, the telling error is this one:

That error means the drive was unable to correctly read a portion of the disc. When you play the disc in a movie player, they plow past most read errors; you're unlikely to notice a tiny error in a frame or two of a movie. MakeMKV is attempting to correctly read all the bits of the movie so as to make a 'perfect' copy of the disc.

I did finally find the link to the program where I could patch the drive. So the drive is now patched. As y'all predicted, though, that didn't fix the problem.

And now there's a second disc on which it's doing this same thing. You Only Live Twice is doing the exact same thing as Dr. No.

And I mean the *EXACT* same error -- including the "offset 32768" part. Which means both discs are having this problem at *EXACTLY* the same point on the disc? I find that highly unlikely...

Just for kicks, I did clean both discs - dishwashing soap and hot water. It did not fix the problem. It's very clearly something wrong with the copy protection. Both discs have a bad spot in *EXACTLY* the same place? No... That's not possible. Although it's weird that none of the other discs in the collection have this problem... Just these two...

So why are both discs failing at the exact same spot, if it's not copy protection? That makes no sense at all... And how do I get around this? How do I make it skip that small part and keep going past it? Both discs play in VLC, btw. If VLC can read it, MakeMKV must be able to also. I just don't know how to make it do that... Even if it just drops a few frames, that's fine with me...

Thanks,
L.
Laurence5905

Post by Laurence5905 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:27 am
Laurence5905 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:56 pm

Thanks,
Laurence MacNeill
look at my guide linked below it has how to videos and everything not sure how you did not find it
but as others said patching it wont fix it you probably just need to clean the disc even if it looks perfect
I found the patch files at this link: viewtopic.php?t=19113
Inside there it says "(this topic will be updated with detailed flashing instructions later)". So there are no instructions there...

I did finally find the sdftool flasher program through Google -- which linked back to this forum. Don't know how the search on the forum didn't return those results, but whatever...

And as you figured, patching it didn't fix these discs I'm having the trouble with... They still won't read... Even after cleaning... And *BOTH* discs have the *EXACT* same problem in the *EXACT* same place. So I don't know what to do... Clearly it's something to do with copy-protection or whatever -- the odds that BOTH discs would have the exact same problem in the exact same place is infinitesimally small.

So how do I fix this?
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Laurence5905 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:38 pm

I found the patch files at this link: viewtopic.php?t=19113
Inside there it says "(this topic will be updated with detailed flashing instructions later)". So there are no instructions there...

I did finally find the sdftool flasher program through Google -- which linked back to this forum. Don't know how the search on the forum didn't return those results, but whatever...

And as you figured, patching it didn't fix these discs I'm having the trouble with... They still won't read... Even after cleaning... And *BOTH* discs have the *EXACT* same problem in the *EXACT* same place. So I don't know what to do... Clearly it's something to do with copy-protection or whatever -- the odds that BOTH discs would have the exact same problem in the exact same place is infinitesimally small.

So how do I fix this?
you clearly did not click the link in my below section it links right to the guide.
your drive could also be defective if it does it on the same spot on different discs i have gotten 80+ defective of those lg and asus drives return it and get a BU40N
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com