Fault Tolerant BluRay Conversion

Everything related to MakeMKV
jbnouser

Fault Tolerant BluRay Conversion

Post by jbnouser »

I've been using makemkv for a month and I'm happy with it. However, between 10 and 20 percent of the time, makemkv fails to read the disc because of a read error, and then deletes what was read so far. If I instead play the disc in my standalone BluRay player, it plays fine.

I don't want to discuss why makemkv fails and the BluRay player does not. I know there are good reasons why makemkv was written to either convert the BluRay disc one hundred percent exact, or nothing at all.

I would like to know if other fault tolerant BluRay ripping software exists? Is there another tool that I can use, as a supplement to makemkv, to read a damaged BluRay disc if makemkv fails?

Thanks.
thetoad

Re: Fault Tolerant BluRay Conversion

Post by thetoad »

if you have access to a non bus encryption drive (though makemkv can help here too), you can start a "protected" copy which will save the metadata needed to decrypt the disc. you then kill it. you then us ddrescue to create an encrypted iso (aacs, not bus) and then extract that iso into the dir you were previously creating. makemkv should be able to then treat it normally (though not decrypt to a decrypted folder, it doesnt do that, would need anydvd to do that).

if bus encrypted, and have a libredrive supported drive, can do the same steps and not remove the disc (so libredrive is still active) and libredrive will prevent bus encryption from being active on the ddrescue stage. of course, if you eject the disc (to clean it, as its a disc having issues), makemkv will have to do its libredrive thing again.