Playing from DVDs, Blu-rays, and 4K UHD Blu-rays with VLC, Using MakeMKV as a Decrypter

Everything related to MakeMKV
Chris Kelly

Playing from DVDs, Blu-rays, and 4K UHD Blu-rays with VLC, Using MakeMKV as a Decrypter

Post by Chris Kelly »

Does MakeMKV download the entire key archive just by being connected to the internet and inserting one disc while MakeMKV is running, or is it disc specific? If it's disc specific, do you have to backup an entire disc using MakeMKV's File>Backup feature in order to download all the keys for that particular disc?
Billycar11

Re: Playing from DVDs, Blu-rays, and 4K UHD Blu-rays with VLC, Using MakeMKV as a Decrypter

Post by Billycar11 »

yes it downloads the entire UHD key list once you open 1 UHD disc.
for bluray it uses latest aacs as of the makemkv release date when this expires you need a new version of makekmkv
for dvd im not as sure i think it similar to regular bluray dont know if dvds is even getting security updates anymore probably not
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Chris Kelly

Re: Playing from DVDs, Blu-rays, and 4K UHD Blu-rays with VLC, Using MakeMKV as a Decrypter

Post by Chris Kelly »

Then I guess if I want to play directly from all my discs without an internet connection, I should connect to the internet, and insert one DVD, one Blu-ray, and one 4K UHD Blu-ray, and wait until each one has loaded.
Billycar11 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:24 am
for bluray it uses latest aacs as of the makemkv release date when this expires you need a new version of makekmkv
for dvd im not as sure i think it similar to regular bluray dont know if dvds is even getting security updates anymore probably not
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Chris Kelly wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:41 am
Then I guess if I want to play directly from all my discs without an internet connection, I should connect to the internet, and insert one DVD, one Blu-ray, and one 4K UHD Blu-ray, and wait until each one has loaded.
Billycar11 wrote:
You only need to do that for UHD dvd and Blu-ray are already included in makemkv
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

Oh. I thought you just had to insert the disc and wait for it to finish loading. But you have to click the "Open Blu-ray" or "Open DVD" button after the disc loads in order to download the keys. Got it
Billycar11 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:04 pm
Chris Kelly wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:41 am
Billycar11 wrote:
You only need to do that for UHD dvd and Blu-ray are already included in makemkv
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

Just expressing my hopes here. CyberLink PowerDVD didn't let me play my Blu-rays directly from the discs with my laptop's lid closed. Sometimes I listen without looking at my screen. DVDFab requires an internet connection to rip them. AnyDVDHD requires an internet connection to play and rip them. Since MakeMKV doesn't require an internet connection to play them with VLC or to rip them once the keys have been downloaded, When I'm on the move, I hope I don't accidentally drop my LG BU40N (which I'm using externally), scratch discs, etc. because I haven't had the convenience of playing directly from the discs without an internet connection for/in years. But if I have to go back to ripping, at least my LG WH16NS60 at its default speeds is the fastest, most stable desktop drive I've ever used so far.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

"… because I haven't had the convenience of playing directly from the discs without an internet connection for/in years."

I find that statement amusing since I don't consider any aspect of playing a movie from an optical disc convenient. :)

Some people have a strong affinity for a disc's menus and things which is why they like to play directly from a disc or from an ISO. Why do you want to play from a disc? I'd think playing a rip and not needing to bring an optical drive & optical discs while on the go would be a benefit.
Chris Kelly

Post by Chris Kelly »

When I rip, I don't like to have other apps open on my laptop in order to minimize read errors. I'm in a situation which keeping my laptop available for communication is kind of important.
dcoke22 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:41 pm
"… because I haven't had the convenience of playing directly from the discs without an internet connection for/in years."

I find that statement amusing since I don't consider any aspect of playing a movie from an optical disc convenient. :)

Some people have a strong affinity for a disc's menus and things which is why they like to play directly from a disc or from an ISO. Why do you want to play from a disc? I'd think playing a rip and not needing to bring an optical drive & optical discs while on the go would be a benefit.