Rarely, MakeMKV doesn't show all titles

Everything related to MakeMKV
mkvfanclub

Rarely, MakeMKV doesn't show all titles

Post by mkvfanclub »

So I am ripping The Flintstones Collector's Edition at the moment (my own legally bought copy). I insert disc 1 and ask MakeMKV to scan it. MakeMKV tells me that there are 6 episode titles available. So immediately I know that something is wrong because disc 1 actually contains 7 titles. So I click File > Close in MakeMKV and then scan the same disc again. And this time, MakeMKV lists all 7 titles.

I didn't remove the disc or even open the disc tray. I simply clicked File > Close in MakeMKV then scanned the same disc again and it came up with a different answer as to how many titles are on the disc.

How is this possible? If I had removed the disc and inserted it again, i could understand but I didn't do anything at all. I just asked MakeMKV to scan the same disc twice, without removing it from the drive at all, and MakeMKV gave me two different title lists.

This has happened several times before but it's very rare - it only happened a handful of times in a few hundred DVD disc rips - but each time it happens I find myself wondering how could it happen when the disc has remained in the drive and I didn't ask MakeMKV to do anything different.

I'm using the latest MakeMKV version 1.16.3. Running Windows 7 64-bit and I'm using LG external DVD drives connected via USB.

Thank you.