FLAC 7.1 channel masks

Everything related to MakeMKV
king107s

FLAC 7.1 channel masks

Post by king107s »

I read a thread from back in 2012 where a respondent noted that a potential issue with conversion of DTS HD MA and TRUE HD lossless audio tracks to FLAC was incorrect assignment of channels because of defaults in channel masks were wrong. I heard this was an issue with encoding using MakeMKV as well as Handbrake but most of this information was from many years ago and I wanted to know if that was still an issue or not?

I am particularly interested because conversion directly during rip would save me substantial amount of time over re-encoding 4k 10-bit HDR H.265 movies using Handbrake. Even with my i9-9900k at 5GHz on all cores, we are talking 8-12hrs depending on movie size and if I need to burn in subs with an RF of 18 and same as source frame rate and medium encoder set point. Having FLAC audio is necessary for proper PLEX streaming via LG WebOS apps to Receiver which still can't utilize eARC for pass through (eARC only works over HDMI from HDMI sources) so it forces transcoding of lossless HD audio tracks which 50% of the time interferes with 4K movie playback and most of the time doesn't transcode correctly and produces stereo sound.
dcoke22

Re: FLAC 7.1 channel masks

Post by dcoke22 »

I use MakeMKV to convert on the fly the lossless audio in my 4K movies to FLAC. I haven't noticed incorrect channel assignments. MakeMKV uses a tiny version of ffmpeg under the covers to do the audio conversions, so if ffmpeg is broken, then so is MakeMKV. (viewtopic.php?p=99996#p99996) That said, ffmpeg is under active development and it is hard to imagine a bug like that would last long.