getting ATMOS capable audio from BluRay.. HELP!!!

Everything related to MakeMKV
cap33444

getting ATMOS capable audio from BluRay.. HELP!!!

Post by cap33444 »

Long time user of makeMKV, but really just ripped my existing BluRays to use in Plex. New LG OLED TV has caused me to "up my game". using various Dolby Atmos test files I am getting uneven results using my ONKYO AVR - files on some devices trigger ATMOS, others will go down to Dolby Surround.

I was hoping to get some consistent test cases to decide what further investment to make in ATMOS capability (speakers).

My Aquaman BluRay plays ATMOS in my BluRay player. Was hoping to create MKV file do I could try in Plex. I got a 7.1 THD track, but playing in plex on both LG's plex app and firestick4K Plex app didn't do anything but Dolby Surround. I have not yet tried using PC w/ Plex server and player on it directing to AVR.

I'm not as crazy about getting Volby Vision right now. So is there something I need to do differently? Is there post processing needed on the MKV file from MakeMKV. Do I have a PLEX issue? :(

Anyone help an old guy struggling with this ??? THX in advance
dcoke22

Re: getting ATMOS capable audio from BluRay.. HELP!!!

Post by dcoke22 »

MakeMKV has had support for ATMOS since 1.8.14 in 2014 (https://www.makemkv.com/download/history.html). If you have rips from an earlier version of MakeMKV, you will have to rip them again to get ATMOS.

I don't think every Plex client supports ATMOS. I don't know what the capabilities of the Plex App on your LG TV or Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K are. Plex's Audio Configuration Guide might be helpful: https://support.plex.tv/articles/212072 ... ia-player/
cap33444

Post by cap33444 »

The Rip was done this morning (w/ 1.16. xx). The only Plex Client I haven't tried yet is the PC (client w/ server) - that requires re-cabling . BluRay doesn't support MKV's (via Plex as a media server).

I will take a look at that PLEX link.
cap33444

Post by cap33444 »

Consider this resolved.
uncledave17

Post by uncledave17 »

I'm new to this Forum and this process. I'm trying to rip a MKV of a Blu-Ray disc that has ATMOS 96K 5.1 Surround Sound audio (Beatles Abbey Road, Let It Be & The White Album), but the best I can get is 96K Stereo.

Can anyone provide info on settings within MakeMKV that should be used to be successful at this (or other programs that are needed)? I am using the latest version of MakeMKV (Beta), but I don't see where settings can be changed).

Any help regarding this will be greatly appreciated, as I've tried multiple times, using multiple programs (including a competitor's) to do this, but without success. The competitor software claimed to be able to make multichannel MKVs, but the best I got from them was a truncated stereo file (34 minutes vs. 43 minute source) at 44.1K (CD quality).

Thanks, in advance.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

uncledave17 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:40 pm
I'm new to this Forum and this process. I'm trying to rip a MKV of a Blu-Ray disc that has ATMOS 96K 5.1 Surround Sound audio (Beatles Abbey Road, Let It Be & The White Album), but the best I can get is 96K Stereo.

Can anyone provide info on settings within MakeMKV that should be used to be successful at this (or other programs that are needed)? I am using the latest version of MakeMKV (Beta), but I don't see where settings can be changed).

Any help regarding this will be greatly appreciated, as I've tried multiple times, using multiple programs (including a competitor's) to do this, but without success. The competitor software claimed to be able to make multichannel MKVs, but the best I got from them was a truncated stereo file (34 minutes vs. 43 minute source) at 44.1K (CD quality).

Thanks, in advance.
atmos is likely being ripped its the trueHD section under audio in makemkv when you open the disc.
how and on what are you playing this back on?
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

uncledave17 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:40 pm
What does MediaInfo (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) say about the output that MakeMKV produces? I'm basically asking the same question as Billycar11.

MakeMKV has supported ripping ATMOS tracks for a long time, since 2014. It should just work.