Question regarding rip speed/read rate

Everything related to MakeMKV
shortnproud

Question regarding rip speed/read rate

Post by shortnproud »

Sorry if this has been answered before but I cant seem to find info on it. It has been a long time since I have ripped any DVDs so I'm not up to date on a lot of things. When I start the process of creating the MKV i get great read rates until I hit the read buffer limit then it drops to .9x-1.1x. I've looked into info on riplock but it seems like if the drive was riplocked it would be slow across the board or am I wrong on this. I'm using an internal slim drive on a Dell r710. I'm trying to rip a bunch of kids movies for use in plex that way I don't have to worry about the kids handling disks. Any assistance/input is greatly appreciated.
Woodstock

Re: Question regarding rip speed/read rate

Post by Woodstock »

What you describe is like a write limitation. Riplock will usually top out at 2-3x read speed, rather than around 1x, since the idea behind it is to allow you to play a disk, but discourage ripping.

More information is needed; do you have Debug logging enabled? What information is reported by MakeMKV in the right-hand section of the display?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
shortnproud

Post by shortnproud »

Is this the info you mention in the right-hand side?
makemkv.png
makemkv.png (36.56 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
I have also attached the debug log.
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
(36.99 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That is a VERY old drive... Assuming you want to do a lot of ripping, and upgrade to BD (or UHD) capability, replacing it would be in order.

Part of the speed issue is likely MakeMKV having to deal with the drive region setting. MakeMKV will not change the region setting on the drive, it will just try working around it if it is incorrect. Usually that works, sometimes it doesn't, depending on the disk being ripped.

And it seems there are some issues with the actual reading of the disk in question. Cleaning the disk will likely help, but the drive itself may need cleaning, too.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging