How to make Java work with MakeMKV?

Everything related to MakeMKV
mike_mgoblue

How to make Java work with MakeMKV?

Post by mike_mgoblue »

In the past, on a different computer, I was able to get Java to work with MKV so the names of files on the Blu-ray were titled properly from Java. Unfortunately, on a new computer, that no longer happens. It seems to be as if Java no longer works at all on this computer.

Please tell me what needs to be done - what settings need to be used - in order to make Java compatible with MakeMKV.

Thank you.
dcoke22

Re: How to make Java work with MakeMKV?

Post by dcoke22 »

mike_mgoblue wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:20 pm
In the past, on a different computer, I was able to get Java to work with MKV so the names of files on the Blu-ray were titled properly from Java.
As far as I'm aware, MakeMKV will use Java to try to pick the right playlist when a movie has a bunch of 'fake playlists'. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14330 While this does append MakeMKV's guess to the filename, I would not describe that as being 'titled properly'.

There are ways to change the file name template MakeMKV uses. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18313 There are several discussions around the forum of people modifying their templates to suite their tastes and needs.
ImCoKeMaN

Post by ImCoKeMaN »

In preferences, Protection tab there is a Custom Java executable location path you can edit. Make sure that's pointing to the right place.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you are installing Java for the first time on a computer, you do NOT want to install the "browser integration". That's the component that caused the majority of the security problems in the past. Install it only for local use.

If the official Oracle JRE is installed, MakeMKV can usually find it, and you do not need to set the custom Java path. If, at a command prompt, you can get a "help screen" by entering the command "java", the install should be good enough for MakeMKV to find it (i.e., Java is in your execution path).

Code: Select all

C:\>java -version
java version "1.8.0_121"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode, sharing)
Other Java-compatible runtime environments exist; some of them require the custom path, and there are a few that are rather hard to make work, based on messages posted here.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging