All of my LG drives slow until a stop

Everything related to MakeMKV
WV_Kirai

All of my LG drives slow until a stop

Post by WV_Kirai »

Hello,

Recently I bought an external LG WP50NB40 USB disk drive to rip some movies, but it has been giving me much trouble. Whenever I start to rip a disc with MakeMKV it has a read rate of about 2.0x which then over time slowly decreases to 0.2x, then 0.1x, then 0.0x, and then finally crashes.

Since MakeMKV cannot recover from these kind of crashes, I have been unable to use MakeMKV. However, to make matters stranger, the same phenomenon occurs with both AnyDVD HD, ImgBurn, Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier, Handbreak, and even Windows Explorer (I'm running Windows 10 x64).

So this seems like a problem with the hardware. However, the same exact phenomenon occurs with my internal LG WP50NB40 drive. It starts off strong and then slowly slows down until it inevitably crashes. In addition, I tried this on my mate's computer which has an internal LG BH10LS30 and the same phenomenon occurs.

So I thought that it might be due to AnyDVD, so I uninstalled it but the problem persisted. Also, my mate's computer doesn't have AnyDVD (I just installed ImgBurn) and the phenomenon persisted.

So I thought it might be the fault of the Bluray, but I have tried two Blurays and two DVDs and the same phenomenon occurred. The only thing that did work was when I just ripped a 20 minute clip from a DVD with MakeMKV, where everything went perfectly.

Another weird piece to this puzzle is how if I am able to pause the copy (such as in AnyDVD or Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier), and I eject the disk, wait a few minutes and try again, the speed will pick up. Sometimes even up to 40 MB/s! But inevitably the read rate will once again slow to a crawl and then eventually stop. And the worst part, is that even if I stop and repeat this process until the copy's complete, the ripped files still have errors in them.

Due to all of this, I am forced to believe that this problem is caused by the LG firmware. These devices are all running 1.03. I would much prefer to not flash any different firmware, but if this is a known error and it can be resolved by patching a different firmware, I have no choice but to do such.

I think what shocks me most is how little I have been able to find about anyone talking about this phenomenon. How could this happen to me on three devices yet I have found so little talk about it. Perhaps though this is a known issue and I just have been looking in the wrong place.

So if you have any idea on how I can get up and running again, please let me know. Thank you.
Woodstock

Re: All of my LG drives slow until a stop

Post by Woodstock »

First thought would be to do a hardware reset to make sure everything is starting 'clean'. Not a reboot; physically resetting the hardware, either as a "shut down, hit the reset button", or "shut down, power off for 20 seconds" if you don't have a reset button.

I've seen the behavior you describe - when there was a network issue preventing MakeMKV from writing its output. The buffer fills, and eventually it stops. Changing the size of MakeMKV's buffer doesn't stop the problem, it just takes more or less time to happen.

Are you writing to a network drive?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
WV_Kirai

Post by WV_Kirai »

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I performed a hardware reset (by both unplugging the computer and hitting the reset button after replugging it), but that did not help.

I have tried writing to a local HDD and a local SSD, but the same phenomenon happens with both. I am not using a network drive.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

It seems that drive has a single USB 2 cable for data and power. https://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg ... -dvd-drive

I wonder if the drive is not getting enough power? Lots of drives powered through USB have a pigtail cable so a second port can be used to give the drive extra power. The type of workload MakeMKV puts on drives can often make them exceed the power available in a single USB port. Could you try a different USB port or a powered USB hub?
WV_Kirai

Post by WV_Kirai »

Hello,

Thank you responders for all of your help.

In the end the problem was the discs I was trying to rip. For whatever reason, one DVD and two Blu-rays (made by the same company) wouldn't rip successfully in one go. My other discs all ripped perfectly. For the problems discs, I ended up using ImgBurn and ejecting the disc when it would encounter an error, and after many attempts eventually I got a usable rip for each (though when Verifying the ISO many errors arose). I attempted to use MakeMKV on the ISO but it failed, so instead I used Handbreak, and I was actually able to successfully encode the videos. It's been a bothersome few weeks, but hopefully I will no longer encounter any more problematic discs.