MakeMKV Frame Skipping Accusation

Everything related to MakeMKV
karbre

MakeMKV Frame Skipping Accusation

Post by karbre »

Hello,

I was researching the differences between different remux tools and came to the following site: https://encoding-guide.neocities.org/01 ... b--makemkv

It states:
MakeMKV is not just a decrypter, but also a one shot remuxing tool. It’s not recommended to use this to create remuxes as it is known to drop frames.
While I am sure that this accusation is either wrong or obsolete (or both), I would be interested how this got into the world. Has there been any time where MakeMKV had problems with frame skipping?
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV Frame Skipping Accusation

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV will attempt to make sure the audio and video are synchronized. As such, it will make that correction by dropping audio frames to get things back in sync, or sometimes add silent frames if it is the audio that is falling behind.

I have not seen any drops being done on video frames.

Audio frame errors usually come at places where different segments are joined together (seamless branching). A few versions back, Mike said the algorithm for handling those was adjusted, to better handle Atmos audio.

So, if you're just remuxing a file, rather than ripping it, what they say is not false; there are other remux tools out there that won't try to do the audio fix-up.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
karbre

Re: MakeMKV Frame Skipping Accusation

Post by karbre »

Ah yes, that could be what they mean. Thx