MakeMKV 1.16.1 Cannot Access Network Locations

Everything related to MakeMKV
liechsowagan

MakeMKV 1.16.1 Cannot Access Network Locations

Post by liechsowagan »

I recently updated MakeMKV from 1.15.4 to 1.16.1. Right away, I noticed that the Output Folder chooser was filtered to only show local directories. I copied and pasted the desired destination folder on my NAS, and clicked Start. I initially get an Information modal prompt telling me that "Directory...does not exist. Do you want to create it?" The folder does, in fact, exist already. Choosing "Yes" anyway produces an Error modal prompt saying "Directory...is invalid."

Has anyone else noticed the same behavior? I plan to roll-back to 1.15.4 for now, since I haven't had any problems with it so far.
PC
-- Threadripper 3960X (24C/48Th @ 3.8 GHz)
-- 256 GB DDR4 3600
-- RTX 3080
-- Win 11 Pro

Software
-- MakeMKV v1.16.5
-- ProcMon v3.70
-- VLC v3.0.16

External Drives:
-- WH14NS40 (1.03 Stock)
-- WH16NS60 (1.02 Patched)
-- OWC Mercury Pro Cases
jonghotti

Re: MakeMKV 1.16.1 Cannot Access Network Locations

Post by jonghotti »

Also, where did the full disc backup icon go?
Not cool :)
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
kyprime22

Post by kyprime22 »

man it looks like 1.16.1 is full of bugs, shame, 1.15.4 was great, what is going on
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

Keep listing them here for now.

I've got another one, drives in enclosures like the Vantec are spewing out "no sense" errors which eventually fills up the log and stops with the drive reporting "no disc". Seems like power cycling everything fixes the condition but I'm not totally sure, will get more details...
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

By network locations, are you referring to MAPPED network locations, or ones accessed via a URL?

I'm running a test on v1.16.1 right now, and it sees my NAS just fine. I tested both mapped connections (drive Z on my machine), and via //servername/sharename/directory.

I'll just say that this is a new version of the program, and a number of changes made by Microsoft and Apple recently will revoke permissions to updates. You may need to renew the permissions for the new version to match what the old version had. This is especially necessary if the locations fall under "protected" status, like your removable drives and personal folders.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
liechsowagan

Post by liechsowagan »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:50 am
By network locations, are you referring to MAPPED network locations, or ones accessed via a URL?

I'm running a test on v1.16.1 right now, and it sees my NAS just fine. I tested both mapped connections (drive Z on my machine), and via //servername/sharename/directory.
Hi Woodstock, this is a mapped network location with an assigned drive letter (Also Z: as it happens...).
Woodstock wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:50 am
I'll just say that this is a new version of the program, and a number of changes made by Microsoft and Apple recently will revoke permissions to updates. You may need to renew the permissions for the new version to match what the old version had. This is especially necessary if the locations fall under "protected" status, like your removable drives and personal folders.
That's entirely possible. After the rollback, I still couldn't access network locations until I had restarted the computer a couple of times. That does imply that the issue may lie with Microsoft/Windows more than with MakeMKV. I meant to update my post to reflect this observation but the initial post got stuck in moderation for quite some time before it published, and when it finally did, I wasn't notified. I just happened to check this morning.
PC
-- Threadripper 3960X (24C/48Th @ 3.8 GHz)
-- 256 GB DDR4 3600
-- RTX 3080
-- Win 11 Pro

Software
-- MakeMKV v1.16.5
-- ProcMon v3.70
-- VLC v3.0.16

External Drives:
-- WH14NS40 (1.03 Stock)
-- WH16NS60 (1.02 Patched)
-- OWC Mercury Pro Cases