Subtitle error

Everything related to MakeMKV
kyprime22

Subtitle error

Post by kyprime22 »

so, pretty sure nobody else is interested in this show/anime here, but just wanted to share this situation as it might be something that could be wrong/needed to be fixed with the makemkv software?

in the Blu Ray release of "Accel World Complete(4 discs)" [https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Accel-Wo ... ay/258897/] the 3rd disc, has 8 episodes on it, there are 9 playlists related to these, 8 for each episode, and an extra one containing all 8 episodes

now, here's the problem, if i rip the 8 episodes individual playlists, as i want to, the first one has an extra added subtitle image in its sup container, however that works, whatever it's called, that is some weird errory image, there are 394 subtitles, the error one is 395th, now when i rip the playlist containing all 8 episodes, that error is not present there, it starts with episode 1 having the correct amount, 394 of subtitle cards, no error extra one, and then it continues with the next episode which has no problems in either combined or single playlist

this happens in VLC

so in this scenario, is the fact that episode 8 single playlist has this error, an error with the bluray in some way, or the software?, could the makemkv be patched to rip it correctly?
this is what the error subtitle looks like

now, in case somebody is confused why this is a problem, call it OCD if you want, but the episode sits a few seconds with a black screen and that image in the upper left corner and it just bothers me because it's simply not how it should be
Last edited by kyprime22 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: Subtitle error

Post by Woodstock »

I own and have ripped Accel World, and the subtitles are fine.

Most likely, the split of individual episodes isn't QUITE in the right place, so the first subtitle of the next episode gets picked up. I see this a lot, but after I process things in handbrake, it gets cut off.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
kyprime22

Post by kyprime22 »

thought it could be something like that, but handbrake won't help me as i have no interest in processing the raw quality bluray files, the unprocessed quality is why i got and rip them, forgot to mention that this happens in VLC

just checked and as far as i can see, the time stamp of the error subtitle in the single episode is not the same or close to the time stamp of the first subtitle from the next episode in the combined playlist
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Without digging out my disks to check, I'd guess that the real culprit is that the "single episode" play lists are all sourced from the same "all episodes" m2ts files, right down to the subtitle tracks. So if there is a slight timing offset for where the key frames are, a extra subtitle can be grabbed at the end.

For me, I don't notice it happening as much nowadays, because I don't have any hardware players left that will continuously play multiple episodes. By the time the spurious subtitle appears, the video ends, and the player displays a loading prompt as it fetches the next file.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging