Newbie - Problems with Blu-rays and ripping speed

Everything related to MakeMKV
CharlyX

Newbie - Problems with Blu-rays and ripping speed

Post by CharlyX »

Hello all,

I am in the process of copying my collection of DVDs and Blu-rays to my unRaid server. Actually, I'm pretty much done already. MakeMKV really does a great job. Thanks for the great tool! However, I am having problems with a handful of movies. They are the following titles:

- Iron Man 1 (2008) (Blu-ray)
- Iron Man 2 (2010) (Blu-ray)
- Arsène Lupin (2004) (Blu-ray)
- Push (2009) (Blu-ray)

I only get the message from MakeMKV that there is no disc in the drive, although the Blu-ray is in the drive. There are no messages in the log or debug file. I have tested this with the following Blu-ray drives: BH16NS55 (Firmware from MakeMKV BH16NS55 1.05) and BH10LS30 (Firmware 1.02). Unfortunately I don't remember if I flashed the BH10LS30 at all or if it's the original firmware?! Do you have any idea what the problem is? I have checked and cleaned all the Blu-ray. Externally, I can't find any errors. The problems occur with both MakeMKV Beta 1.15.4 (Windows) and MakeMKV Beta 1.15.4 Linux x84 (Docker).

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (Blu-ray): I get the following messages (Screenshot). The disc is flawless, there are no scratches.
Maze Runner.png
Maze Runner.png (3.96 MiB) Viewed 4968 times
Second:
Today my new LG BH16NS55 drive arrived, as I want to store UHD Blu-rays on my server in the future. I chose this drive as it is listed as "friendly" here on the forum. I flashed the drive to the firmware: BH16NS55 from this zip file (https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 19&t=19113). Is this correct or would I be better off using a different firmware?

Third:
I noticed that the BH16NS55 takes longer to rip than the BH10LS30. The BH10LS30 needs about 6 minutes (up to ~11x speed) for a DVD with one episode of "Columbo (1968)", while the BH16NS55 (~6x speed) needs 11-15 minutes for one episode (about the same length). Can this be related to the firmware of the BH16NS55? Have I possibly chosen the wrong one? Both MakeMIKV instances are running on my unRaid server in a Docker container.#

Fourth:
I would like to purchase MakeMKV. If I purchase one license, can I run two Docker containers with one license or do I need a separate license for each MakeMKV instance?

I would be totally happy if you can help me a bit and I can pass the issue better and fix the problems if necessary.
dcoke22

Re: Newbie - Problems with Blu-rays and ripping speed

Post by dcoke22 »

CharlyX wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:21 pm
Fourth:
I would like to purchase MakeMKV. If I purchase one license, can I run two Docker containers with one license or do I need a separate license for each MakeMKV instance?
One license should be fine.

FAQ about license keys: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20579#p79289

The program's author has stated one license is fine for a single person to run it on both a Windows and Mac computer, so a single person running it in two Docker containers should also be fine.
dcoke22

Re: Newbie - Problems with Blu-rays and ripping speed

Post by dcoke22 »

CharlyX wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:21 pm
Hello all,

I am in the process of copying my collection of DVDs and Blu-rays to my unRaid server. Actually, I'm pretty much done already. MakeMKV really does a great job. Thanks for the great tool! However, I am having problems with a handful of movies. They are the following titles:

- Iron Man 1 (2008) (Blu-ray)
- Iron Man 2 (2010) (Blu-ray)
- Arsène Lupin (2004) (Blu-ray)
- Push (2009) (Blu-ray)

I only get the message from MakeMKV that there is no disc in the drive, although the Blu-ray is in the drive. There are no messages in the log or debug file. I have tested this with the following Blu-ray drives: BH16NS55 (Firmware from MakeMKV BH16NS55 1.05) and BH10LS30 (Firmware 1.02). Unfortunately I don't remember if I flashed the BH10LS30 at all or if it's the original firmware?! Do you have any idea what the problem is? I have checked and cleaned all the Blu-ray. Externally, I can't find any errors. The problems occur with both MakeMKV Beta 1.15.4 (Windows) and MakeMKV Beta 1.15.4 Linux x84 (Docker).

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials (Blu-ray): I get the following messages (Screenshot). The disc is flawless, there are no scratches.

Maze Runner.png
The Rip Errors FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055

Those errors indicate that the optical drive was unable to correctly read the disc. Even if the disc looks flawless and even if it plays in a blu-ray player. MakeMKV is trying to make a perfect copy of the bits on the disc.

The FAQ linked above has suggestions for things to try. In my experience, it comes down to cleaning the disc and trying again (perhaps cleaning the disc and trying to rip twice or three times). Also, trying in a different drive if you have one. In my experience, some discs just don't get on well with some drives. I have two drives I use. If a disc doesn't work in the first drive, I try the other. Often (but not always), it works fine.