Automatic HK download disabled or failed

Everything related to MakeMKV
questinghero

Re: Automatic HK download disabled or failed

Post by questinghero »

I was able to get it working, but it takes some effort. These instructions are for Windows.
  1. Edit the host file on your computer (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) and add the following line to the bottom of it. I got the IP address from this post viewtopic.php?p=141837#p141837. You will need to open Notepad as Administrator to edit the hosts file.

Code: Select all

185.84.108.20 		hkdata.crabdance.com hkdata.fairuse.org
  2. Open up a web browser (Chrome/Edge/Firefox) and download the following file

hkdata.fairuse.org/svq/sdf.dat.gz
  3. copy the sdf.dat.gz file to your makemkv data folder (should be C:\Users\username\.MakMKV)
  4. Start MakeMKV, and the disk will be decrypted.
This is what I did, and my UHD disk is now ripping... it is also possible that the issue is just fixed and I did nothing :-P
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

questinghero wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:20 pm
I was able to get it working, but it takes some effort. These instructions are for Windows.
  1. Edit the host file on your computer (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) and add the following line to the bottom of it. I got the IP address from this post viewtopic.php?p=141837#p141837. You will need to open Notepad as Administrator to edit the hosts file.

185.84.108.20 		hkdata.crabdance.com hkdata.fairuse.org
  2. Open up a web browser (Chrome/Edge/Firefox) and download the following file

hkdata.fairuse.org/svq/sdf.dat.gz
  3. copy the sdf.dat.gz file to your makemkv data folder (should be C:\Users\username\.MakMKV)
  4. Start MakeMKV, and the disk will be decrypted.
This is what I did, and my UHD disk is now ripping... it is also possible that the issue is just fixed and I did nothing :-P
For hosts file did you put a # and some space before that bottom line entry? I tried this and the disk I'm trying to rip still won't decode. It could be that it's not been fixed yet.

Also, I do have this in proxy server in MakeMKV.

185.84.108.20 hkdata.crabdance.com hkdata.fairuse.org
questinghero

Post by questinghero »

Someguy1234 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:38 pm
For hosts file did you put a # and some space before that bottom line entry? I tried this and the disk I'm trying to rip still won't decode. It could be that it's not been fixed yet.

Also, I do have this in proxy server in MakeMKV.

185.84.108.20 hkdata.crabdance.com hkdata.fairuse.org
Putting a # at the beginning of the line, makes it a comment and all the lines with # are ignored. It should NOT have a # at the beginning. I removed the Proxy line, as I don't think it was working. were you able to download the file from the website?
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

I was able to download the file but I couldn’t decode (open) the latest DC animated film on 4K. I had submitted the dump file via svq email. When I remove the proxy it tries to check but fails, still. It could be AVG antivirus and its advanced firewall. I have two discs I’ve submitted dump files for and neither yield a successful result when proxy is removed or there. It only tries to check when proxy isn’t in makemkv settings. It seemed to all really happen after the latest version was installed. Nothing changed with my antivirus.
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

I'm still getting a failure to update. Is anyone else still having this issue? I've allowed the hosts file to be updated, even switched antivirus software, and went entirely without. But nothing works, still..
Downloading latest HK to D:/MakeMKV ...
Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed.
charnathan

Post by charnathan »

Someguy1234 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:43 pm
I'm still getting a failure to update. Is anyone else still having this issue? I've allowed the hosts file to be updated, even switched antivirus software, and went entirely without. But nothing works, still..
I'm still getting this error with both Avatar Collectors Editions.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The blocking might be happening at your ISP and outside of your control. The only thing that's worked for some people is to use a VPN to 'escape' from their ISP's network. They sometimes have to pick different exit points for the VPN before finding one that works.

Fortunately, MakeMKV saves the downloaded hashed keys, so you would only have to use the VPN whenever MakeMKV needs to download new keys.
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

dcoke22 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:54 am
The blocking might be happening at your ISP and outside of your control. The only thing that's worked for some people is to use a VPN to 'escape' from their ISP's network. They sometimes have to pick different exit points for the VPN before finding one that works.

Fortunately, MakeMKV saves the downloaded hashed keys, so you would only have to use the VPN whenever MakeMKV needs to download new keys.
It's so strange you suggested this. I just tested something that uses this theory. I made a hotspot on my iPhone and used it as my Wifi. It allowed me to download the latest. See for yourself. It downloaded and didn't fail for once. The disc can't be decoded yet, but I've submitted the dump file.

Automatic HK downloading is disabled or failed.
Saved AACS dump file as D:/MakeMKV/MKB20_v77_Kindergarten_Cop_BEAC.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc
Using LibreDrive mode (v06.3 id=4FBA32AEC678)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
Saved AACS dump file as D:/MakeMKV/MKB20_v77_Kindergarten_Cop_BEAC.tgz
The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted
Failed to open disc
UPDATE: It worked. I was able to now decode a disc I previously couldn't because of this download issue. It's certainly worth noting that I'm running the free AVG VPN on my iPhone. So, it is my ISP blocking it. I don't have any anti-virus software or a VPN on my PC right now. I'm going to be using a VPN on PC it looks like from now on. Does anyone know of a good free VPN for PC?
Rupert Pupkin

Post by Rupert Pupkin »

Something is definitely going on with Make MKV . All of my downloads are failing. I have tried 4 discs. Anyone have any real answers? I am going to be forced to go back to AnyDVD
charnathan

Post by charnathan »

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:58 pm
Something is definitely going on with Make MKV . All of my downloads are failing. I have tried 4 discs. Anyone have any real answers? I am going to be forced to go back to AnyDVD
I ended up getting Avatar Extended Collector's Edition to work by using my cell phone's internet as a hotspot like Someguy1234 mentioned. But you're right, something is going on since I was able to get Titanic to work on my home ISP. And there's like a week or two difference between that and the Avatar release.
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

Rupert Pupkin wrote:
LOL. Use a VPN like I said, Brian. I know it might hurt to do something I said to do but it worked. Not a fan of the podcast(s).
Last edited by Someguy1234 on Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

charnathan wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:38 pm
Rupert Pupkin wrote:
I ended up getting Avatar Extended Collector's Edition to work by using my cell phone's internet as a hotspot like Someguy1234 mentioned. But you're right, something is going on since I was able to get Titanic to work on my home ISP. And there's like a week or two difference between that and the Avatar release.
Great to hear it worked for someone willing to listen.
awdspyder

Post by awdspyder »

Does anyone know of a good free VPN for PC?
I've had good luck with Proton. I lot of folks like their mail product as well.
https://protonvpn.com/free-vpn
Puppy1980

Post by Puppy1980 »

I think Xfinity is definitely up to something. I couldn't get Titanic 4K to open, but the moment I turned on my VPN it worked like a charm.
Someguy1234

Post by Someguy1234 »

Puppy1980 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:02 pm
I think Xfinity is definitely up to something. I couldn't get Titanic 4K to open, but the moment I turned on my VPN it worked like a charm.
Yeah the ISPs are blocking it for sure. VPN is the only solution.