1.15.2 does not extract DTS Core Audio sometimes

Everything related to MakeMKV
samtroy

1.15.2 does not extract DTS Core Audio sometimes

Post by samtroy »

I just bought the European "London Has Fallen" UHD and the DTS core audio of all 2 DTS-HD tracks is not extracted (of course it's checked correctly). MakeMKV just puts 4 DTS-HD tracks in the file. MKVToolnix can extract the same DTS core audio tracks without a problem.

The same thing happens to the new "Sherlock Holes: Game Of Shadows" UHD disc. Something must be wrong with that MakeMKV version (latest 1.15.2).

Anyone else with that problem?
Last edited by samtroy on Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcoke22

Re: 1.15.2 does not extract DTS Core Audio sometimes

Post by dcoke22 »

How are you determining that the core audio isn't there? Are you using MediaInfo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaInfo)? I haven't had this problem in the few dozen UHDs I've ripped, but I haven't ripped the two titles you name.
samtroy

Post by samtroy »

Yes, I check with MediaInfo and also in my player (MPC-HC). Extracting the DTS core is checked in MakeMKV (the DTS HD track is also checked) but it just copies the DTS HD track twice. I use the "Order Weight" flag (HD = 1, Core = 2), maybe this has something to do with it... :?

I had this serveral times recently with other films too (forgot which ones), it's occurring only with some DTS HD audio tracks (not all!), never with Atmos tracks. And I never had this with older versions. I even re-downloaded v1.15.2 to make sure it's not an installation problem. And like I said, MKVToolnix does extract the very same DTS core from the same source without any problem.

I'm actually a little puzzled that nobody noticed this so far..

Maybe mikeadmin can look into that?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Are you sure that these are HD tracks (not core with ES extensions)? Please do this for any title - http://www.makemkv.com/onlinehelp/testdump.html
samtroy

Post by samtroy »

Yes mike, they are DTS XLL HD tracks:

Format : DTS XLL
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Commercial name : DTS-HD Master Audio

I've just sent you the testdump you requested to the support email address.
KevinSartori

Post by KevinSartori »

Samtroy,

This issue has been brought up in this thread as well:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22737

dcoke22 runs macOS 10.14.6, but it appears that this is an issue with Windows 10. Samtroy, are you running Windows 10 too?
samtroy

Post by samtroy »

Yes, I'm running Win10, I even reinstalled it to make sure thats not the reason for the problem.

And: The DTS problem occurs with ISOs *and* MKV files for me.
samtroy

Post by samtroy »

A short update:

Version 1.15.3 has the same problem. DTS core extraction is checked but MakeMKV just copies the DTS-HD/MA track twice. It happens on roughly 40% of all DTS-HD/MA titles. Other users on this forum also confirmed this behaviour. :cry:

I hope mike has already found the cause of this and implements a fix into the next MakeMKV version.
PhilaPhan80

Post by PhilaPhan80 »

For anyone who's not already aware, this works properly again in 1.15.4 on Windows. (Thank you!)