Where is the new drive speed option?

Everything related to MakeMKV
viperphish

Re: Where is the new drive speed option?

Post by viperphish »

Howdy!

I just tried this on Windows (WH16NS60 1.02) with `0=99` on some DVDs. Wow! Fast (~14x) :D

However, I did notice that on some discs about ~halfway through (layer change?) rapidly print a bunch of errors about being unable to read at offset X. I also had one disc where this happened and then the drive spun up REALLY fast where I had to power the drive off manually... Fastest I've ever heard the drive! There are some circular scratches on the edge of the disc now :lol: (I'm not too fussed about it, I figured this is a very experimental feature and I was right :)).

Setting the registry key back to normal lets the (non-damaged) discs read normally.

Just figured I'd share so folks try this on non-precious discs first :)
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

viperphish wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:43 am
I also had one disc where this happened and then the drive spun up REALLY fast where I had to power the drive off manually... Fastest I've ever heard the drive! There are some circular scratches on the edge of the disc now
What media was that? BD/DVD/UHD and how many layers?

Also, note to everyone - if something like this ever happens, please save the log file, it should have a history of speed commands.
flash_and_burn

Post by flash_and_burn »

Cheers all, just got my MW-16D1HT flashed to MK3.10 and thrilled to see it rip a UHD.

I seem to be missing the drive speed registry key. I originally had a drive speed key for my Samsung SE-506BB which bricked during a firmware update, but not for the Asus. I tried deleting the Samsung drive speed key but no new key has appeared for the Asus drive. Tried removing and reinstalling software but still no joy.

Any ideas?
flash_and_burn

Post by flash_and_burn »

A reboot made this key re-appear. Set it to 0=99 and my LibreDrive flashed Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10 switched to wood router mode and promptly ripped a CSS DVD at eleventynine X (speed range was actually 8x to 14x due to CAV). 4:53 to rip 5GB.

Well done MakeMKV team.
Wolf359

Post by Wolf359 »

Do you have plans to add this to the GUI in the future?
chiefbeats

Post by chiefbeats »

I successfully added "0=99", and the Alien3 blu-ray ripped at about 11x. Normally, rips would occur at about half that. When ripping Alien Resurrection blu-ray, rip speed is only about 4x at 20 minutes in. The speed is slowly going up, but I'm waiting for the ramp up to full speed. Is there something wrong? I feel that without 0=99, it would have ripped faster than 4x at least. Is it ignoring "0=99" with different media somehow?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

There could be a few things going on. First, MakeMKV's speed control isn't strictly a thing that only makes reads go faster. Between layer switches and around the edge of the disc, it purposely slows down to improve the chances of a successful rip. Second, sometimes discs can be dirty in ways that aren't really visible to the Mark 1 eyeball. Sometimes, things go slower as a result. Third, when ripping a disc, the optical drive is usually running in a Constant Linear Velocity mode (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constant_linear_velocity). This means the disc is rotating at a constant rpm and consequently the outer edge of disc passes by the laser head more quickly than the inside of the disc. This means, all things being equal, the read speed will vary as the laser head changes position. Also, optical discs can have between 1 to 4 layers of data, meaning the laser head might make the trip from inside to outside to inside multiple times when ripping a movie.

That's all a long winded way of saying, if you set the speed control string, then it is working. And MakeMKV is doing the best it can with each piece of media.

As a side note, MakeMKV can use more than one optical drive at the same time. So, if you have a lot of media to rip, the fastest way to get through it is to get more than optical drive.
tonkis32

Post by tonkis32 »

I just got a BH16NS55 and I was disappointed disapointed with the speed when ripping dvd's on it. It did 4X max using one of the supported USB thingies.
Found this by accident and changed the speed using 0=99 (requires restart of MakeMKV) and now I've seen it do up to 13X. That's a HUGE difference.
Thanks for this and keep up the amazing work! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Offler

Post by Offler »

First I got Verbatim BD writer slim drive (Pioneer BDR-UD04 1.11) mainly for backing up my photos on BD discs. Since I already had a nice collection of movies, I decided to watch them on PC using this drive. It was kinda noisy and after some time (hours, days or weeks) i might got an error when drive stopped reading in the middle of movie. I also thought that the drive is noisy.

So I decided to get LG BP60NB10 slim drive and unlock it. When I watch the movies it was incredibly noisy. Beyond belief... so I checked how to adjust the registry, i switched it to 0=8.

Now ... The LG drive is less noisy, but still produces a high-pitched noise. Is it possible to slow it down further?

On other hand, Verbatim drive is now very very quiet, regardless i did not changed the registry. Unfortunately it cannot read the few UHD disks, but its completely inaudible when playing normal BDs. However I will doublecheck if the error with reading is still present.