Forced Subtitles question

Everything related to MakeMKV
zprewitt

Forced Subtitles question

Post by zprewitt »

I'm ripping District 9 and I would like to include forced subtitles. However, there are 5 English subtitle options, each with its own "Forced" sub-option.

1) Do I need to check all of them? (i.e., the main and sub-options)
2) Or do I only need to check the Forced sub-options, and if so, do I need to check all of them or just one?

Thanks,
Z
tabicat

Re: Forced Subtitles question

Post by tabicat »

I'd like an answer to this question too, please. Many of the Blu-Rays that I rip have two identical subtitle tracks. What does that even mean?
bla4free

Post by bla4free »

I'm in the same boat. I wanted to rip District 9 as well and noticed it had lots of English subtitles. I put it aside hoping I would find a similar post on here. Are there any solutions to this?
apdso9

Post by apdso9 »

I have the same problem. Please help us :)
I think the first subtitle and forced subtitle could be the right.
the rest is only for the deafs...
Maybe anybody knows more!
BitJam2

Post by BitJam2 »

Some blurays have bogus labeling of audio and subtitle tracks. I'd bet that some of those subtitle tracks are in languages other than English. I'd also guess that you want the first subtitle track. But here is a suggestion that will tell you for sure which subtitles to use. Try using makemkv to stream the bluray and then play the stream with XMBC, vlc, or SMplayer. All of these players let you select a subtitle track by number. You don't have to watch the whole movie, the first 5 or 10 minutes should be ample. The vlc player lets you skip ahead in the stream which will let you quickly get to a portion of the film where subtitles are being used. I'm sure many (but not all) other players will work too. I listed three that I use that I know work with streaming blurays via makemkv.