New version of MakeMKV extremely slow read rate

Everything related to MakeMKV
ZeroX

New version of MakeMKV extremely slow read rate

Post by ZeroX »

I have just updated to the latest version of MakeMKV and the read rate is now extremely slow (around 0.5x/0.6x). Is this a known issue with the latest version?
ZeroX

Re: New version of MakeMKV extremely slow read rate

Post by ZeroX »

Has no one else encountered this with the latest version? The previous version was working fine literally about a week ago, but the new version is incredibly slow.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Speed of ripping is very disk dependent. If your drive is struggling to get good reads on sectors, it can be incredibly slow. The next disk could go to 15x as it gets to later portions of the rip.

You can install multiple versions of MakeMKV at the same time, so long as they're in different directories. I have 3 or 4 versions installed, depending on which machine you look at. You can do a direct comparison between versions with the same drive/disk if you want.

And no, I haven't seen significant speed differences between versions.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ZeroX

Post by ZeroX »

The disk is almost in brand new condition. I have checked the disk and I cannot see any marks, scratches or blemishes at all on the surface. I don't think it is the drive as it seems to work fine for other uses. I have ripped several Blurays before with MakeMKV with no problems at all, but it seems very odd that as soon as I updated it I started getting these problems.

The only thing I can think of is that do newer versions of the software become less compatible with older Bluray disks? Even though the disk is in brand new condition it might be quite old, the copyright is 2008 although that is not necessarily when the disk was manufactured. Are older Blurays not supported in newer versions of MakeMKV?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Older disks are still supported. But your description of the disk raises a number of flags.

Have you read through this topic yet? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055

I've tried to post pictures of what happens to disks as they sit in their packaging. Unfortunately, the disks themselves are too reflective to get a camera to focus on the chemical haze. But the longer a disk stays in its package, the more haze transfers to it.

That haze is like putting on glasses that are not appropriate for your eyes... They're "clear and perfect", yet your vision through them isn't. The lasers of optical drives are trying to focus on microscopic holes in a plastic-covered substrate. Your drive is doing a pretty good job to read a disk without errors, but it is having issues doing it at speed.

Are ALL you BDs slow reading, or just this one? You said you ripped some disks last week, before updating MakeMKV; do those disks now rip slowly?
ZeroX

Post by ZeroX »

I have tried some other disks that I have ripped before and they work fine. Does the chemical haze permanently damage the disk?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

In my experience, the chemical haze comes off with slightly soapy water and a soft cloth (I use cotton, others use microfiber). Glasses cleaner works (just a touch of alcohol in that). Spray on, wipe off, working radially from the center of the disk out. Avoid the temptation to wipe in the direction the disk spins... that can leave streaks that wipe out a lot of bits.

Quoting from the "If you're experience errors" thread:
Proper disc cleaning:

Center to edge, never circular.

How to clean CD/DVD/Blu-ray disks
Neotech40

Post by Neotech40 »

I had an identical issue as the OP. I installed an earlier version to resolve the slow ripping speed (0.6x).
mkvusr1

Post by mkvusr1 »

I am currently experiencing this issue with random DVDs of a bunch of DVDs I recorded on a consumer DVD recorder. Processing grinds to complete stop on some of the titles in my recordings while other recordings convert to MKV just fine -- the DVD drive even becomes quiet as the read rate is frozen at 0.5x and the Output Size stops accumulating. Historically MakeMKV has handled these disks fine, but the current version has the issue reported in this thread.

I would like to be able to run an older version again, but it says on the FAQ I must purchase the software: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/15

I see on the purchase page at http://www.makemkv.com/buy/ a statement that
"Due to some technical issues, one cannot purchase MakeMKV for a moment. You have to use it for free :)"

Admins, how can I go back to an old one now, when the free license code would be expired? (You may email me at the email address I used to register for this forum if you feel the need to contact me privately about this.)

Thank You for any assistance.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

https://www.makemkv.com/download/old/

You should be able to find an old version there.
mkvusr1

Post by mkvusr1 »

I went back to 1.14.7 and it resolved my problem. Looks like a new bug in the 1.15.x series.

Only thing is I have to turn my date back to run it as per the page...

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20579
MakeMKV checks the key for expiration by comparing your system DATE when the program STARTS. It does NOT check it after that. What you do with that information is up to you.
I hope the author can fix the bug so I can use a current version again. Maybe a new public key for 1.14.7 could be released while the bug is being worked.
wmsawvel

Post by wmsawvel »

I have experienced the same problem with multiple DVD's and on different machines. When I first encountered this issue, I thought it might be a hardware issue and swapped out my drive with a new one, but still have the same problem. However, now that I know others have had the same issue, I have adjusted to the delay. I have every confidence that the problem will be fixed or a solution will be found. MakeMKV is still one of the best tools I have ever come across.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you have just moved up from the 1.14.x series to 1.15.x or 1.16.x, you probably are trying to read a disk that has faulty "closed caption" data. Disabling the CC track from the subtitle list generally fixes this.
wmsawvel

Post by wmsawvel »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:13 pm
If you have just moved up from the 1.14.x series to 1.15.x or 1.16.x, you probably are trying to read a disk that has faulty "closed caption" data. Disabling the CC track from the subtitle list generally fixes this.
I generally will run MakeMKV twice, both using "Expert Mode". Once to extract subtitles and the other to extract only video and audio files. Both passes experience the same slow read rate and take exactly the same time to run. I have even tried several DVDs that I processed with MakeMKV years ago that had no speed issues at that time, but now they do.
extranet

Post by extranet »

mkvusr1 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:50 pm
I am currently experiencing this issue with random DVDs of a bunch of DVDs I recorded on a consumer DVD recorder. Processing grinds to complete stop on some of the titles in my recordings while other recordings convert to MKV just fin
For me the disc grinds to a complete stop but the read rate still shows around 4.2x. It does this multiple times for any disc both new discs and old discs.It is really annoying and I hope it gets fixed as I don't want to have to download an old version and change my date as that messes up other software on my PC.