New version of MakeMKV extremely slow read rate

Everything related to MakeMKV
mkvusr1

Re: New version of MakeMKV extremely slow read rate

Post by mkvusr1 »

I am still having issues with a few discs of old TV shows that were made by my Panasonic consumer DVD recorder. (Yes, I am back at this effort again a year later.) While downgrading MakeMKV to 1.14.7 from the 1.15.4 had helped with some of them, there is one disk that wouldn't work even with 1.12.3. I just tried that same disk on the current 1.16.5 and processing still grinds to a standstill 3/4 of the way through. I copied the disk to my hard drive without issue and then tried to process the files from there and that also does not help.

So it appears nothing has happened to resolve this problem.
Username1267

Post by Username1267 »

I also noticed that the new version reads at 0.6 x. Not all discs but some. But I am not quite sure in which version it started. I haven't used 1.16.7, yet. So it must be 1.16.6 or earlier.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Username1267 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:25 pm
I also noticed that the new version reads at 0.6 x. Not all discs but some. But I am not quite sure in which version it started. I haven't used 1.16.7, yet. So it must be 1.16.6 or earlier.
https://www.makemkv.com/download/ Somewhere in MakeMKV's recent history, I think about 1.15.4, MakeMKV got the ability to slow down the read rate at layer transitions and if the drive was struggling to read the disc because of dirt or whatever. Since 1.16.7 has the same mention of improvements for discs with mastering errors as 1.15.4, it could be the speed control is being used more aggressively. I'm just speculating, however.
chiefbeats

Post by chiefbeats »

Perhaps this will help? It changes the rip speed of discs. Made a huge difference for me!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22689