Request regarding "BD+ Warning"

Everything related to MakeMKV
setarip_old

Request regarding "BD+ Warning"

Post by setarip_old »

(I had previously made this suggestion/request privately, quite some time ago. Perhaps, by posting it here, there will be others who will voice the same need).

If you are (As I and others are) scrupulous in making certain that your standalone Blu-ray player and/or PS3 is NOT connected to the Internet and will not be subjected to any firmware updates (Some of which may prove to be undesirable and irreversible), then you are already aware of the following:

If you use MakeMKV to do a FULL DISC backup of a recent Blu-ray disc that contains "BD+" , upon playback, you'll be confronted with a red and yellow notification stating that you MUST update your firmware in order to proceed - and if you don't do that, you're at a dead end.

So, presently, MakeMKV cannot make usable backups of full Blu-ray discs that contain BD+.

However, from what I've been able to deduce (I haven't done any coding in over 25 years), this message is controlled simply by two flags (bytes) in one of the files in the "BDJO" directory. Presently, both DVDFab Passkey (free while in Beta) and AnyDVD HD (never free, other than 20 or 30 day trial) are capable of switching these flags, resulting in a viable full disc backup of these "BD+" Blu-rays.

If "Mike" and his team could resolve this, I believe it would go a long way in MakeMKV being perceived as a true competitor regarding backup of Blu-ray discs.

Who knows, once that's accomplished, perhaps "Mike" and his team can be convinced to create a MakeMKV Blu-ray driver, to be used for realtime playback of Blu-ray discs without having to first rip them ;>}

crowfax

Re: Request regarding "BD+ Warning"

Post by crowfax »

That's weird, I literally just ran into this problem with my copy of Predators which I just did a disc backup of and tried to play in TotalMedia Theater 3. I'd like to see this fixed for sure.

Do you know how I can edit the offending file by hand?
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Do you know how I can edit the offending file by hand?
Although I've not tried a shorcut I just thought of, you might want to try it before my "standard" 1-5 below:

Try steps 1-5 below but EXCLUDE copying the "STREAM" directory from one window to the other. If this works, it should take about 10 seconds. Otherwise, do the following, in its entirety:

1) Download and install the presently free DVDFab Passkey

2) Then run it, so that you see its icon in the system tray (on the lower right of your screen)

3) Open two Windows in Explorer, one that includes the drive containing the already ripped "Predators" backup "package" and another containing a new folder with a name of your choosing. Open the new folder

4) Drag and drop the entire contents of the "Predators" "package" (except the .ini file created by Windows) into the new folder and select "Copy"

5) DVDFab Passkey will fix the problem in real time, while copying

(If, for some reason, this doesn't work for you, just use Passkey with your original Blu-ray disc)

Let us know how it goes...

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

setarip_old wrote:So, presently, MakeMKV cannot make usable backups of full Blu-ray discs that contain BD+.
These backups will not work forever anyway - AACS spec requires modern players to refuse playback of once-protected discs with ACCS removed.

As for specific ask, It's not a goal for MakeMKV to create a (patched) backup so it would play as is in certain hardware player. MakeMKV rather saves files from disc as is so one can process them with specialized tools like http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=135620 .
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@mike admin

It's a competitive world out there.

When you consider that in the Blu-ray plus DVD backup world, there are presently only three real competitors that backup both formats (MakeMKV, DVDFab/Passkey, and AnyDVD/HD), it's glaringly obvious that MakeMKV is presently the only program of the three that cannot make INDEPENDENTLY FUNCTIONAL full disc backups of BD+ protected Blu-rays (no firmware updates needed, no Internet communication) - although it can make backups of "movie-only" of the very same Blu-rays.

I can't help but remember the still very appealing statement you made to announce the inception of MakeMKV (I believe it is still the very first statement made on your homepage), to wit:
MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere.
I would suggest to you that addressing the removal of the "BD+ Warning" certainly qualifies as a means of making a truly unencumbered format for the vast majority of owners of Blu-ray discs - especially now with Fox BD+ protected releases being joined by Warner and, I believe, MGM.

setarip_old

UPDATE Re: Request regarding "BD+ Warning"

Post by setarip_old »

@mike admin

Now that "DVDFab Passkey" has gone commercial ($60), it would really be impressive to be able to say that "this capability is provided at no additional charge to users/purchasers of MakeMKV"

crowfax

Post by crowfax »

mike admin wrote:
setarip_old wrote:So, presently, MakeMKV cannot make usable backups of full Blu-ray discs that contain BD+.
These backups will not work forever anyway - AACS spec requires modern players to refuse playback of once-protected discs with ACCS removed.

As for specific ask, It's not a goal for MakeMKV to create a (patched) backup so it would play as is in certain hardware player. MakeMKV rather saves files from disc as is so one can process them with specialized tools like http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=135620 .
Thanks for an explanation Mike. I am as always, extremely happy with MakeMKV and continue to reccomend it to everyone.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
inliner

Post by inliner »

Have to dig up this old post, because I recently stumbled across this problem and haven't found a solution so far.
chronologic

Post by chronologic »

Same here. Plus i'm on the MAC, so no AnyDVD/Fab option for me.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

DVDFab has Mac versions for some of their products now, FWIW.
chronologic

Post by chronologic »

Great! Thanks Romansh. Do you know if DVD Fab Blu-Ray Copy is as efficient as Passkey to make a 1:1 ISO? Heard alot of great things about Passkey to get rid of the BD+ protection, but I guess DVD Fab Blu-Ray Copy has the same process, right?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

No clue.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@chronologic
I guess DVD Fab Blu-Ray Copy has the same process, right?
Yes (As well as several others related to size and content)...

chronologic

Post by chronologic »

@setarip_old

I've tried DVD Fab Blu-Ray Copy for mac... with the Prometheus Blu-Ray (2d). The disc is ripping and there are no BD+ warning, but I'm getting strange pixelation on the entire film. Did you have any success with it? I would have tried Passkey on a MakeMKV rip, but it's not on the mac at the moment.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@chronologic

Please remember that this is the MakeMKV Forum - and your problem/question is now specifically one regarding DVDFab products.

You should therefore post this question at DVDFab's own forum...