Forced Subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
adamf154

Forced Subtitles

Post by adamf154 »

Is there any point in using this program for blurays that have forced subtitles, some work most dont, i am currently trying to mkv the mummy 2 and the mummy 3, and they are in the dont work bracket.

I use this cause its easy and usually takes less than an hour and i dont do anything else to the film, so why would i want to buy this if i cant get forced subtitles to work, im finding out more and more films have them.

I then have to use some other software like handbrake and a couple of subtitle ripping programs and spend 8 hours ripping and decoding it and thats just for about 10gb alot longer if i want the file the same size as the actual bluray.
setarip_old

Re: Forced Subtitles

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

The problem you've enocuntered is NOT MakeMKV-specific. You'll find that virtually every similar Blu-ray conversion or compression program has problems with the subtitles of the entire "Mummy" series. Each of them contains a slew of subtitle streams (in excess of 60 each), including a maximum 31 PGS format subtitles and 30 or more TEXT-format subtitle streams. The TEXT-format subtitle streams go unrecognized and/or unprocessed.

Click on the following link for some more insight:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1276285

adamf154

Post by adamf154 »

Is there a program i can use that is quick, to add the subtitles to the film that i have taken from the original disks and keep the file as it is from using makemkv
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I believe you can accomplish that with MKVMerge (Use v.3.1 or older - to avoid confusion regarding compressed headers - Don't ask ;>})

adamf154

Post by adamf154 »

Thanks for that seems like it worked a treat
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Thanks for that seems like it worked a treat

You're quite welcome ;>}

mechanic47

Post by mechanic47 »

Just to chime in I just ripped and included the forced subtitles from the mummy and mummy returns blu-ray and the forced subtitles worked just fine. MKV toolnix does a great jobe with the subtitles im currently using version 4.3.0. (toolnix includes mkvmerge).
You can also convert the subtitles to sup files extracting them with MKVextract, then convert the sup files to easier to handle sub files with BDSup2Sub. That also works. the reason to convert them to sub files is currently handbrake does not handle PGS subtitles found on blu ray. The Handbrake team are currently working on getting the pgs subtitles worked into the nightly builds very soon. so converting them wont need to be done in the future.