subtitle doesn't work, build 722 & build 778

Everything related to MakeMKV
Jalum

subtitle doesn't work, build 722 & build 778

Post by Jalum »

for Builds 722 and 778,

Subtitle doesn't seem to work when I make a mkv from Blu-ray source. I have tried few different Blu-Ray titles.
Here is the error from VLC player.

No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.
No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.
Jalum

Re: subtitle doesn't work, build 722 & build 778

Post by Jalum »

is this a known problem or something new?
jketch

Post by jketch »

I've been having this issue with VLC as well. Actually, the videos in general tend to be flaky on VLC. They work on Windows Media Player with CCCP codec pack, but subtitle support has always been bad in WMP so I'm not sure if its a problem with the files or not, mkvmerge recognizes the subtitle tracks as there, so I assume the mkv file itself is working, just that most players lack support for the subtitles at this stage.
Jalum

Post by Jalum »

I use MPClassic... I just tried VLC player to make sure that the error was consistent.

I use beta 6 of FFDShow tryout and latest version of Hali Media Splitter.

The subtitle works with DVD rips made from makemkv but subtitle doesn't work with any of the blu-ray rips. Both Media Player Classic and VLC player.

Hope that helps.

PS I'm trying to rip some Japanese Anime with original dialog and English subtitle.
TopGun2010

Post by TopGun2010 »

No subtitle on Popcorn Hour A-110 and VLC.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Subtitles on blu-ray discs are encoded in PGS format. Currently this format is almost unsupported by players - it is sort of chiken and egg problem. Some time from now players will support it. PGS format can't be converted to any other common format like VOBSUB - PGS subtitles use 256 color pictures and VOBSUB has only 4 colors. Unfortunately there is no option but wait.
Jalum

Post by Jalum »

Thank you for the explanation. That clears it up. Hopefully, FFDShow, VLC or Media Player Classic will support it soon.
TopGun2010

Post by TopGun2010 »

Mike, thanks!
dandirk

Post by dandirk »

There are ways to convert Blu-ray PGS (.sup) subtitles...

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145277&page=4

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=142819

Though most of these solutions are essentially for text type subtitles (foreign lang speaking etc)... Some movies like Don't Mess with the Zohan use the advanced PGS subtitle function for onscreen graphics in various locations on the screen (aka profiles on people when he uses his spy glasses). In these cases the current solutions don't work that well because when converted to text based subs, the location on screen is changed to standard subtitle location aka bottom of screen.