Can't see optical drives /cdrom grayed out

Everything related to MakeMKV
Sourhead85

Re: Can't see optical drives /cdrom grayed out

Post by Sourhead85 »

I posted my post about it working i only used it once and now its back to its old ways of not working.... :evil: :shock:
polcat

Post by polcat »

I had this problem too after the latest Win 10 update.

Check that Windows Defender Security Centre --> Virus and Threat Protection --> Ransomware Protection --> Controlled folder access is OFF

When it was on MakeMKV wouldn't detect the drive but is working again once turned off.

Hope this helps someone.
Sourhead85

Post by Sourhead85 »

polcat wrote:I had this problem too after the latest Win 10 update.

Check that Windows Defender Security Centre --> Virus and Threat Protection --> Ransomware Protection --> Controlled folder access is OFF

When it was on MakeMKV wouldn't detect the drive but is working again once turned off.

Hope this helps someone.

OMFG!!!! THANK YOU! That WORKED!
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

Finally got around to trying this and YES it works.

You don't need to turn of the Ransomware Protection completely. You can use the option to allow all the MAKEMKV exe files through controlled folder access.

Makes you wonder why MS is blocking this in the first place. Maybe it's the decryption algorithms it doesn't like but none of my other AV/Malware programs seem to object to it.

Good call and many thanks. :D
FrankN@455

Post by FrankN@455 »

Thanks, adding the MakeMKV app to the Ransomware Protection allowed list fixed this issue for me.
blackjack4494

Post by blackjack4494 »

OMG. I was driving nuts why it wouldn't detect my drive in makemkv but I could see it under 'My Computer' and in flash tool.
marsax73

Post by marsax73 »

I just upgraded from Win 10 Home to Pro and I was experiencing the same issue. Try this on top of allowing the app through your security program and reinstalling MakeMKV. Find the makemkv.exe file and right click on it. Check the "run as administrator" and hit apply.
Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 11.32.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 11.32.43 AM.png (837.83 KiB) Viewed 6680 times
dcb1973

Post by dcb1973 »

Dude, this totally helped me out. I wasn't sure that with my hardware changes, and moving a 5.5" drive from a desktop to a USB controller on a laptop would work. I was able to browse the drive through the Open File dialogue, but it would not populate automatically. I get the annoying UAC prompt because I am running in admin mode, but that is better than before.