Feature Req - Disable decryption

Everything related to MakeMKV
SamuriHL

Feature Req - Disable decryption

Post by SamuriHL »

I know it's only my second post here. :) I've been testing MakeMKV for a day and a half now and really truly love it. The MKV's it produces are absolutely awesome. Embedded PGS subs...NICE! I just have a small request if possible. Would it be possible to have an option to disable the built in decryption routines? I use another product for that and would prefer to rely on its decryption capabilities. If this is not possible or you don't want to add such a feature I understand. And I apologize if this has been discussed and nixed previously. I didn't see a recent discussion on it but I admit I could have easily missed it if there was one. I'm going to be testing this product out fully for the next few weeks and if it continues to work as it has I will be buying it for sure. Thanks!!
setarip_old

Re: Feature Req - Disable decryption

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Surely there are freeware programs available for simply creating .MKVs from decrypted files - so why would you want to pay for that singular capability in MakeMKV?

I use another product for that and would prefer to rely on its decryption capabilities
Which are you referring to, DVDFab Passkey or AnyDVDHD?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

None that offer the ease of use that MakeMKV does and certainly (at the moment) none that embed PGS subtitles in an MKV. I find the MakeMKV interface very well done. While I could certainly use freeware to rip the streams and then combine them with mkvmerge (and have done so to compare the process to MakeMKV), the lack of PGS subs and the fact that the streams must be ripped first, thus taking extra time, make MakeMKV a worthwhile purchase for me. As you're most likely aware, I use AnyDVD HD for decrypting, so, that functionality is redundant for me and not the reason I'm interested in the very well done MakeMKV UI. One step MKV creation of just the streams I select with the ability to create forced subs with ease has a LOT of value to me.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I use another product for that and would prefer to rely on its decryption capabilities.
What advantage, if any, do you perceive in using two programs rather than one to decrypt and convert a file to .MKV?
One step MKV creation of just the streams I select with the ability to create forced subs with ease has a LOT of value to me.
Unless I've recently missed the boat somewhere, MakeMKV does NOT have the ability to CREATE forced subs - rather, it has the ability to identify their existence in a BluRay .M2TS file and, if it exists, include it in the created .MKV...

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

setarip_old wrote:What advantage, if any, do you perceive in using two programs rather than one to decrypt and convert a file to .MKV?
I see the functions as separate. It's a matter of preference for me to want to use AnyDVD as my decrypter. However, MakeMKV provide excellent functionality for MKV creation, which, to date, SlySoft does not have. They may in the future, but, presently they do not. So, that's my interest in MakeMKV...strictly for the MKV creation.
Unless I've recently missed the boat somewhere, MakeMKV does NOT have the ability to CREATE forced subs - rather, it has the ability to identify their existence in a BluRay .M2TS file and, if it exists, include it in the created .MKV...
Perhaps I've misunderstood the feature then. I took it to mean that when that was selected, only the forced subtitles would be added. So, for example, if there are forced subs embedded in the regular subtitle track, it would add just the forced ones. If that's not how it works then I've misunderstood the feature entirely which is very possible. :) Either way, the ability to add PGS subs natively in the MKV is awesome.

Also, as a side note, I've discovered that MakeMKV's stream extraction is better than the freeware methods I've used. I've run into problems with Haali and bitstreaming HD audio tracks that were extracted using another method, but, no such problem exists with the MakeMKV output. Another check in the MakeMKV column. :)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/10/catid/7

Right, see here. If forced subs exist, it adds a subtitle track with JUST the forced subs in addition to the main subtitle track. That's what I thought it did. So, yea, that rocks.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

If forced subs exist..,
Semantics, as you are now saying exactly what I wanted to make clear to you, namely that MakeMKV cannot CREATE (your word) forced subs if they don't already exist as such on the disc or in the file ;>}
It's a matter of preference for me to want to use AnyDVD as my decrypter.
Just my opinion, but I'd be surprised if the author would view that as sufficient reason to modify MakeMKV (but you never know, since that option DOES exist for MakeMKV's full disc BluRay backup capability).

Additionally, the author and others have determined that AnyDVD (active or in the background) can/does cause conflict with MakeMKV's operation...

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

setarip_old wrote:Semantics, as you are now saying exactly what I wanted to make clear to you, namely that MakeMKV cannot CREATE (your word) forced subs if they don't already exist as such on the disc or in the file ;>}
I disagree with that statement. If you want to get into semantics, it DOES create a forced subtitle track that didn't exist before by creating FROM the forced subs it finds in each subtitle track on the disc that you select. So, in fact, it IS creating a new subtitle track with just forced subs. I never said it allowed you to add your own forced subs...simply that it created a new forced sub track if you select that option. It will also NOT create it if no forced subs are found. Very nice indeed!
Just my opinion, but I'd be surprised if the author would view that as sufficient reason to modify MakeMKV (but you never know, since that option DOES exist for MakeMKV's full disc BluRay backup capability).

Additionally, the author and others have determined that AnyDVD (active or in the background) can/does cause conflict with MakeMKV's operation...
Well, that's why I requested the feature as it's something I'd like to see as a potential customer. The author has to decide what features to add or not. As a software engineer myself, I fully understand that not every request will be added. However, NO feature that's not requested will be added without a great deal of luck (i.e. the author himself wants the feature added). If he decides it's not a useful feature, so be it. However, I've done almost 20 of my movies so far with AnyDVD enabled and haven't had a problem yet. I would also not expect any help with issues caused by using AnyDVD and not the built in decryption if I choose to go that route.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

It will also NOT create it if no forced subs are found.
Yes, that is what I've said...

Marc_G

Post by Marc_G »

I'll say +1 to having a version at lower price that doesn't include decryption.

I already own AnyDVDHD and use it for things MakeMKV doesn't do, but MakeMKV's interface and truly outstanding ability to pick out episodic content can't be matched. I actually use a non-MakeMKV solution for typical BD movies that may have forced subs because my other solution can in 1 step rip out the MKV and convert PGS subtitles into the kind most players (such as MPC-HC) can play. But that other solution doesn't do well with episodic content like BD TV series, and it doesn't touch DVDs at all. So for the significant amount of BD TV discs I rip to my server, as well as all my DVDs, MakeMKV is my solution. The occasional conflict with AnyDVDHD is annoying (because then I have to go in and disable AnyDVDHD); I'd be happy enough to have a version of MakeMKV that didn't bother with decryption since I have another solution for that.

Marc
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I'm not sure that's realistic to have two versions. All I was asking for was a way to disable the functionality in the existing UI. I'm willing to pay full price for the product, but, this feature would be useful to me. I think there's an extremely unlikely chance of having two products, but, I'm hoping the disable functionality can at least be added.
dirio49

Post by dirio49 »

Or just disable the warning that comes up.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

dirio49 wrote:Or just disable the warning that comes up.
No, the warning is there for a reason. It's never usually a good thing to have 2 decrypters enabled at the same time.
dirio49

Post by dirio49 »

SamuriHL wrote:
dirio49 wrote:Or just disable the warning that comes up.
No, the warning is there for a reason. It's never usually a good thing to have 2 decrypters enabled at the same time.
I disagree.
if you had anydvd and passkey installed that i would be worried (they work ok together by the way)
but makemkv, show that warning only if it finds the any! or fab!.
if i decrypted iso and mount it without those folders there is not complaint.
as for two decrypters, once the bd is decrypted the other one does nothing, because there is no protection. ;)
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I suppose. I've yet to have any problem with AnyDVD enabled, so, I guess that'd work to disable the warning.