"But the disk is perfect and plays in my DVD/BD player!"

Everything related to MakeMKV
QuakeIV

Re: "But the disk is perfect and plays in my DVD/BD player!"

Post by QuakeIV »

My understanding is usually when you play DVDs, you skip over any problematic sections. Is there some reason why it would be overly onerous to implement this behavior for makeMKV?

Normally the failures are an extremely minor portion of the DVD and its not particularly noticeable. I bought a 100 or so dollar Star Trek: Deep Space 9 dvd set, and only one disc is bad. The episode plays fine and has no noticeable issues, it is purely makeMKV not liking it.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Because the purpose of MakeMKV is to make a perfect copy of the disk. If the disk isn't correct, you cannot know if the copy is correct.

A player will skip over bad spots when reading a disk; most will NOT skip over bad spots when reading a stream.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
QuakeIV

Post by QuakeIV »

I am annoyed to come back and find the only reply was totally moronic
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Moronic how?

You stated a problem. I explained the reason behind the problem.

If you are receiving an error on a DVD, it's in a part of the disk that would be displayed during playback; it's not like a BD backup, where it might not be displayed during playback. It could be one sector, or it could be fifty. Should it "work" if the unreadable section is "only" five sectors long? What if it's five sectors spread over forty?

I went through this with ONE disk out of a set for Hercules. Every set I bought had the SAME error on the SAME disk. I even rented that disk from Netflix... SAME ERROR. It was a pain.

Ended up ripping it by using a DVD-only player that was old... and having it try reading it a LOT of times. My BD-capable drives couldn't figure it out on multiple disks. But I eventually got a "perfect" read.

So, if my reply is "moronic", then so be it; it's an honest reply to your request. MakeMKV tries hard to give you a perfect copy, rather than "this is good enough".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MorkFromOrk

Post by MorkFromOrk »

During the the time between SlySoft and RedFox when my AnyDVD license key no longer worked, I found MakeMKV. After some testing of it, I registered MakeMKV and have never looked back. With the reasonably priced registration, I can rip both DVD *and* Blu-Ray without issue.

I own a current RedFox license for AnyDVD, but there has been absolutely no point in having it installed. I've found that it brings nothing new to the table and only slows down my process with it's rather long disc scan before you can start the rip.

For the OLD SlySoft keyholders, the last installation that will use your old key is SetupAnyDVD7695
pguillot69

Post by pguillot69 »

I agree MorkFromOrk. The license from Any worked until it changed hands. I was one of those also. I paid for mine and they changed hands. I used mine until it would not rip the latest ones so I moved to MakeMkv.
Thanks, I use Handbrake also but the bad news is it is hard on a drive and it has to be reset each and every disk. I love MakeMkv because you can try a simple quick rip and then tweak it with Handbrake IF you need. The time spent on each disk is a lot less with MakeMkv than with Handbrake.
Film-fan

Post by Film-fan »

RED 2

Anyone had trouble ripping this disk? I loaded the disk in the Mac DVD player and looked at the track and selected that track number to save, but a section gets completely skipped over, even though the ripped film completes "normally" with the audio and video still in sync. Other trials I've hacked at would have the audio jump out of sequence with the video around or after the time the crew goes (spoiler alert!) under the Kremlin and the film would end oddly. The DVD plays perfectly fine in the DVD player and in VLC. Odd...

Suggestions anyone?
pendell

Post by pendell »

Philbert wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:24 pm
I used AnyDVD 7695 with my Slysoft lifetime license for 10 years until my crazy pc disappeared the key. Everything worked with the older version file, and only Lionsgate was a problem. I used Shrinkdvd32 on those until recently when I lost my key. My Clone DVD still works, but using makeMKV eliminates the need for other software (unless it isn't allowing me to use the latest version 'cause it's too "old" "...like now.
I know it's too late now, but backup your dang license keys - heck, physically print out the emails with the keys and store those prints somewhere safe. That's the first thing I did after buying MakeMKV. I have that key backed up in like 5 places so I'll never lose it.
pendell

Post by pendell »

9Nails wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:07 pm
But I wonder if it is possible to set MKV to rip at 1X speed? (Or lower?) It might essentially switch the drive to normal playback speeds. That would reduce the disc vibration possibly. Such a suggestion might give you fewer errors due to disc imbalance.
It is possible to alter MakeMKV's maximum drive speed, but you have to go into the Windows Registry Editor to do it.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Film-fan wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:05 am
RED 2

Anyone had trouble ripping this disk? I loaded the disk in the Mac DVD player and looked at the track and selected that track number to save, but a section gets completely skipped over, even though the ripped film completes "normally" with the audio and video still in sync. Other trials I've hacked at would have the audio jump out of sequence with the video around or after the time the crew goes (spoiler alert!) under the Kremlin and the film would end oddly. The DVD plays perfectly fine in the DVD player and in VLC. Odd...

Suggestions anyone?
Lots of folks seemed to have trouble with this on DVD. I have no idea if there was a right answer, but here are some threads I found.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17210

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16180

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8535

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8099

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7622