BUG Report: Wrong optical drive from remote desktop

Everything related to MakeMKV
madfloyd

BUG Report: Wrong optical drive from remote desktop

Post by madfloyd »

It would be very handy for me to be able to use Windows Remote Desktop to rip Blu-rays but when I do so, MakeMKV looks at the REMOTE computer's optical drive instead of the local one.

In other words, if I'm remoting into a desktop via laptop and have a blu-ray in the desktop, MakeMKV wants to rip from the laptop!

Any chance of this being fixed?
Yugatha

Re: BUG Report: Wrong optical drive from remote desktop

Post by Yugatha »

Your post was a little confusing, so I'll summarise (to confirm understanding):
Currently, you have a desktop with a Blu-Ray drive, with MakeMKV installed on it. You also have a laptop. You remote connect to the desktop from the laptop, open the MakeMKV program on the desktop (inside the remote session), and it attempts to load the disc drives that are physically connected to the laptop. Is this correct?

I've tested this with two of my computers: both running Win 7 x64. If I remote from PC1 to PC2, and launch MakeMKV on PC2, it lets me know there are no usable disc drives found (though there are two).
Solution: This can be overwritten by running MakeMKV as Administrator (Right Click on the MakeMKV program -> Run as Administrator). Once I did this, it correctly identified the two drives on PC2, allowing it to be used correctly.

As for attempting to use your laptop's drives, have a look at your remote Connection settings:
  1. Launch Remote Desktop Connection
  2. Ensure your Desktop is selected as the Computer to connect to
  3. Click "Show Options"
  4. At the top, click the "Local Resources" tab
  5. At the bottom, under "Local devices and resources", click "more"
  6. Expand the "Drives" checkbox
  7. Deselect any disc drives you don't want to use while in the remote session (if selected)
  8. Click OK, then Connect to save the settings.
madfloyd

Post by madfloyd »

Thank you for the reply. I will try running MakeMKV as an administrator and see if that corrects the issue.
madfloyd

Post by madfloyd »

That worked! Thanks again!