Being Asked To Start Eval Period Every Time

Everything related to MakeMKV
ImSpartacus

Post by ImSpartacus »

I've been using MakeMKV for a couple years to casually watch Blu Rays from my local public library on my Windows 7 desktop PC and it's been fantastic. Major kudos to the dev team.

Recently, every time I start up MakeMKV, I'm asked to start a new 30 day evaluation period. After clicking "yes", MakeMKV works fine and will successfully rip the Blu Ray, but the next time I use MakeMKV (sometimes minutes after), it'll ask to start up the same evaluation period. How can I get an evaluation period to actually "start"?

That wouldn't be a big deal, however I'm just a casual user that isn't interested in permanently storing rips of Blu Rays. Therefore, I rigged up some simple symbolic links VLC (for Windows) to use MakeMKV's libmmbd.dll for its libaacs.dll & libbdplus.dll files. That way, VLC can just play the Blu Rays in real time. Historically, I need to start up MakeMKV after entering a new beta key in order to "start" the new evaluation period. Then I can use VLC to my heart's content. So that's why it's important for me to figure out how to actually "start" the evaluation period.

I appreciate the assistance from the community!
Woodstock

Re: Being Asked To Start Eval Period Every Time

Post by Woodstock »

The Bluray functionality has different rules than DVD functionality, because it's the part of MakeMKV that require the most frequent updating. That's why it has a 30-day limit on evaluation, but it USUALLY counts down from 30, after your initial use.

There are really only two solutions to keeping the message from popping up - registering, and leaving MakeMKV running all the time.

The way you're running it now, it starts MakeMKV each time VLC asks for its help, and shuts it down when VLC is done. By starting it and leaving it running, you only get one start-up message.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ImSpartacus

Post by ImSpartacus »

Woodstock wrote:The Bluray functionality has different rules than DVD functionality, because it's the part of MakeMKV that require the most frequent updating. That's why it has a 30-day limit on evaluation, but it USUALLY counts down from 30, after your initial use.
Has it always been this way?

My setup was working pretty well up until maybe a couple months ago.
Woodstock wrote:There are really only two solutions to keeping the message from popping up - registering, and leaving MakeMKV running all the time.

The way you're running it now, it starts MakeMKV each time VLC asks for its help, and shuts it down when VLC is done. By starting it and leaving it running, you only get one start-up message.
Shortly before posting this, I tried to start up MakeMKV and then run VLC to play a Blu Ray (specifically "How To Be Single," but it generally happens with all Blu Ray) while MakeMKV was idling in the background. I had already clicking the "yes" dialog box to begin the evaluation period. I still got the same error message in VLC (but again, MakeMKV, itself, is working great and I'm ripping it at the moment).

But honestly, I'm still partially satisfied that it's even working. MakeMKV obviously doesn't owe me anything, lol.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I'd suggest sending an email to support@makemkv.com , reference this topic, and ask Mike directly. He's not here every day.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
forresthopkinsa

Post by forresthopkinsa »

I don't mean to necro but I'm having this same problem right now.

Using MakeMKV 1.15.0, every time I close the program the Evaluation Period is forgotten. I have to start a new trial each time I run it. Like @OP this wouldn't be a problem except that it makes the VLC integration unusable. I'm getting the exact same errors.

Windows 10 x64
VLC 3.0.8

log from running makemkv: https://pastebin.com/PDbNdQYF

log from running vlc: https://pastebin.com/zY6FRLJx
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

I've got licenses for sale at 25% off regular price ($37.50) if you cheapskates can't afford the $50 that is regular price :-)
The Original "UHD Friendly" Drive Seller
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17829
MaximRecoil

Post by MaximRecoil »

forresthopkinsa wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:22 am
Like @OP this wouldn't be a problem except that it makes the VLC integration unusable. I'm getting the exact same errors.
Open MakeMKV, click on Help > Register, and then enter the temporary beta key that's provided by mike admin in this regularly updated post:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

The current key is good until the end of October. Once the key is entered you no longer get the evaluation period popup and you won't have any problems with VLC integration.
forresthopkinsa

MaximRecoil wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:31 pm

Open MakeMKV, click on Help > Register, and then enter the temporary beta key that's provided by mike admin in this regularly updated post:
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but this was exactly what I needed. Funnily enough, I always accidentally end up back on this page when I'm running into this problem and Googling it thinking, "How did I solve this before?"

Someday I'll learn. For now, I'll just keep consulting your advice every time. Thanks!
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

And I still have licenses for 25% off for when and if you feel like contributing towards the further development of the software you’ve been enjoying for free for years .
Last edited by jonghotti on Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forresthopkinsa

Here I am, back at this thread once again. Sigh.
jonghotti wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:56 pm
And I still have licenses for 25% off for when and if you feel like contributing towards the further development of the software you’ve been enjoying for free for years .
And where, do tell, can I buy it at full price?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24722&p=106256#p106256

In regards to buying MakeMKV, in March, Mike said, "Hopefully soon :) It is really an ugly technical issue that will be solved eventually."
jonghotti

Post by jonghotti »

jonghotti wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:56 pm

Only a handful left here.