Is MakeMKV lossless ripping?

Everything related to MakeMKV
rfkrocktk

Is MakeMKV lossless ripping?

Post by rfkrocktk »

The documentation doesn't seem clear as to whether the ripping is lossless or lossy.

Does MakeMKV re-encode the MKV video from the Blu-Ray, or does it just defeat the DRM and extract the original file as was burned to the disc? I can use a tool like dvdbackup with the libdvdcss library, for example, to losslessly rip a DVD without any reencoding:

Code: Select all

dvdbackup -M -i /dev/sr0 -o my-lossless-dvd
eject /dev/sr0
genisoimage -V TITLE --dvd-video -o my-lossless-dvd.iso my-lossless-dvd/TITLE
Does MakeMKV work by reencoding the original file or by just defeating/working around the DRM?
SamuriHL

Re: Is MakeMKV lossless ripping?

Post by SamuriHL »

No reencoding is done on video. Audio is more complex...if you decide to rip the streams as is, audio is also untouched. However, there are methods to convert the audio to other formats such as FLAC.
rfkrocktk

Post by rfkrocktk »

My main concern is being able to rip a BluRay disc and being able to do sha512sum on the output and the original file and get the same value. If I want to reencode to a different format (ie different audio/video codec), I'll do it in another file. I just want the original 1:1 copy on hand so I can always have the option to switch to a different end-user format if I want to. So you're saying that the rip will by default have checksum integrity?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

No, of course it's not going to be able to checksum. Blu-ray is in m2ts format and potentially broken up into multiple files that are segmented together. MKV is a completely different format. What I'm saying is the streams contained within the MKV are identical to the streams contained in the m2ts. The files will most definitely not match any checksum analysis though.
electronicsguy

Post by electronicsguy »

rfkrocktk wrote:My main concern is being able to rip a BluRay disc and being able to do sha512sum on the output and the original file and get the same value. If I want to reencode to a different format (ie different audio/video codec), I'll do it in another file. I just want the original 1:1 copy on hand so I can always have the option to switch to a different end-user format if I want to. So you're saying that the rip will by default have checksum integrity?
I don't think you understand the meaning of checksum. how can the checksum between2 different formats be the same? and furthermore, this has nothing to do with lossy/lossless.
TKFRvision

Post by TKFRvision »

But if I rip the same disc twice with the same options do I have the same Sha-256?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The MKV header contains information about the time the file was created. Since this will vary with when you do the rip, no, the hash will not be identical.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging