You should consider a lower price, here is why

Everything related to MakeMKV
sstlr

You should consider a lower price, here is why

Post by sstlr »

First of all: I will probably buy this tool. I just started using and testing it, and it seems to do a good job -- right now, I'm pretty sure it is my ONLY (!) option for playing my legally-bought bluray discs on my linux desktop system, as long as they use MKBv-11 or newer.

But, considering the price, i really fear that it will soon disappear. Because it won't sell and the authors will abandon it, frustrated about cracked copies and all. It took me 10 minutes to figure out how the linux version 1.4.2 implements the shareware counter (and no, i will NOT share this info, don't even ask...). So, please, for the future of this great tool: adjust it's price in a way that people won't start to feel it could be "fair" to just work around the protection rather than buying it.

And one general word about the "value" of software. I'm a software developer myself and I have to say, there's a big difference between the value for the developer and that for the customer. For the developer, it's all the time put into it, usually a very high value. But the value for the consumer is just measured by the "usefulnes" of the tool. For most software, this is MUCH lower -- and this is perfectly fine as long as the software wasn't developed fully customer-specific. You can sell your software as often as you want, and when it is useful to many, it WILL sell a lot for a "fair" price.
orphoys

Re: You should consider a lower price, here is why

Post by orphoys »

Yeah, i would double that. In Germany we have a word for this: Totgeburt, which means it's a stillborn child. I feel very sorry about that, as I think this software is very good, even better than anydvd and all the tools out there. The decryption engine is the most efficient one out there. And I am also very sorry about the fact that this forum does not respect the right for freedom of speech aswell (as far as I have seen). I am afraid this topic will soon be locked or deleted.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Although it's apparent that you folks are well-intentioned, you are ignoring the wishes of "mike-admin", who has made it clear (in a post to a thread here at his forum) that this forum is only for conversation regarding program development and not about pricing or marketing.
ragboy

Post by ragboy »

What is your time worth? maintaining eac3to, and if you are a mac user, then wine, or vmware to run it, anydvd, and mkvtoolnix, etc. MakeMKV is shaping up to a single cross platform tool, coupled with something like HandBrake, and you have a truly simplified workflow for backing up your library.

Mike, let me know if you need a testimonial for your site. $50 is well worth the time MakeMKV will save me. (Once the audio issues are resolved. ;-) )

Robert Garcia
BigHead Technology
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

orphoys wrote:I feel very sorry about that, as I think this software is very good, even better than anydvd and all the tools out there. The decryption engine is the most efficient one out there.
The cost of MakeMKV is already lower than any of similar software. If the software is useful to you, buy it. The (off)topic is locked.