Must exit/restart MakeMKV on 80% of DVDs or it fails

Everything related to MakeMKV
blandishment

Must exit/restart MakeMKV on 80% of DVDs or it fails

Post by blandishment » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:28 pm

I've been using MakeMKV on a lot of my DVDs these past weeks. On about 80% of them I must exit and restart MakeMKV or it erroneously reports errors such as read, seek, or protected sectors on a DVD. If I exit and restart it, it is fine and then processes the DVD. I've not had a single DVD it could not handle but on about 80% it does require me to exit the program and restart it to correctly process the next DVD after a successful rip. According to the About screen in MakeMKV I am using the latest version.

Thanks!

Woodstock

Re: Must exit/restart MakeMKV on 80% of DVDs or it fails

Post by Woodstock » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:02 pm

What your describing is likely an operating system issue - it is not letting MakeMKV know you changed the disk.

Do you have MakeMKV eject the disk when you finish, or do you simply remove and replace it?

blandishment

Post by blandishment » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:59 pm

I have just been ejecting the discs on the computer and inserting the next one, but note the title changes on the MakeMKV window.

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:48 am

What operating system? Do you have Bluray playback software installed?

blandishment

Post by blandishment » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:44 am

Windows 7, latest service pack, PowerDVD 14.

It's not a huge deal since it's easy to exit and restart MakeMKX, though of course I would not mind correcting the issue.

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:55 am

Not sure if PowerDVD is this way, but...

When I first got a BD drive, the player software installed some drivers to make Windows 7 compatible with AACS and (as I later found out) fiddle with the firmware of the drive. MakeMKV behaved a lot like you describe.

Once I made the decision to not bother playing DVDs and BDs on my machine (EVERYTHING goes through MakeMKV to a media server, via Handbrake, and VLC is the on-computer player), I uninstalled the BD drive's software and it's "special drivers"... and my problems with MakeMKV went away.

blandishment

Post by blandishment » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:59 pm

I'll have to ponder that; for now I still need to occasionally play discs on the PC though I am moving to a media server setup on a Synology NAS.

I also noticed last night if I eject the DVD from within MakeMKV and load another I still get random errors and have to exit/restart MakeMKV.