Ripping to network share fails

Everything related to MakeMKV
cicero222

Ripping to network share fails

Post by cicero222 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 am

Hi all,

I have a strange problem with MakeMKV 1.7.7 (but also with older versions) when I try to rip a disc to a network share on my fileserver. MakeMKV can create a new subdirectory for the movie, but it cannot store any file into it. I receive a "code 5 at..." message which means "access denied" afaik. MakeMKV is the only application which cannot access the share, all other apps just work fine.

Client runs XP Home, server runs XP Professional. The destination directory on the fileserver is shared, everyone is allowed to modify files. When I access the share through Windows Explorer ("\\fileserver\videos\"), everything works. Also reading the existing video files with XBMC and creating new files (artwork) works fine.

I also tried on another client (Laptop with Win7) - same result. I also tried another directory on another disc in the fileserver - same result. When I use the XP Home client to rip the video and store the file on the Win7 client, everything works, so it cannot be the network.

Can anybody please help with this issue?

Cheers,
cicero222

Woodstock

Re: Ripping to network share fails

Post by Woodstock » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:44 pm

Just a thought - are you mapping the share to a drive letter?

While I haven't tested it with MakeMKV, I have encountered this problem with other GUI-driven command line programs. The GUI can handle a network resource being described as "\\server\share\directory", but the command line program doesn't know how to connect to that resource.

cicero222

Post by cicero222 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi Woodstock,

Thanks for your reply!

I already tried your suggestion, but even if I map the share to a drive letter on the client, the same error occurs.

I also saw that MakeMKV changes any backslash "\" to as normal slash "/" both for local and network drives. Could this be the reason?

Cheers,
cicero222

Woodstock

Post by Woodstock » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:08 pm

No, the forward/backslash issue is really a tied to CMD.EXE - internally, Windows (and DOS starting at 4.x) can handle either / or \ as a directory separator in file access requests.

cicero222

Post by cicero222 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:43 am

I tested the command line tool (makemkvcon.exe) with the same results ("code 5 at..."). No matter whether I try to access the share directly or via mapped drive letter, with backslashes or regular slashes. Also turned firewalls and virus scanners off on both machines - no luck...

Will try advanced network settings on the server tonight.

Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:25 pm

How soon do you get the error?
Immediately, some time during the rip, or at the end?

Consider setting the access rights to 'full access', not just 'Change'
Mac Mini, 2005 with superdrive, 2GB RAM, 80GB SSD, Core2Duo 2.16GHz CPU...
2 x LG USB DVD-drives and 'old spiteful' an IDE-based DVD-reader from a desktop connected to the internals of an old FW-HDD.
Writes Sci-fi:
http://www.planetfurry.com/~anthony/

cicero222

Post by cicero222 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:08 pm

STRIKE!

Gadgetman you made my day! After turning off the "use simple file sharing" tickbox, I saw that all my shares were set to "read" and "change", but not to "full access". After ticking the missing box, everything works fine now.

This should be added to the FAQs or somewhere else here on makemkv.com

Thanks to all of you!

Cheers,
cicero222