Makemkv ISO

Everything related to MakeMKV
zenrebel33

Makemkv ISO

Post by zenrebel33 » Thu Aug 15, 2024 10:46 pm

I've been creating ISO versions of all my Blu-rays. These ISO's are kept on my NAS and backed up. I then use the ISOs to create an MP4 version with Handbrake. The MP4 version is used by my Jellyfin media server. Currently it's a manual process that takes a great deal of time.

Back at the start of DVD's being ripped, I didn't create ISOs. At the time I used several different softwares. I know I used Decryotor and MakeMKV. At the time our kids were young, and many of the DVDs were destroyed over time. The difference between now and then is that the Blu-rays will not be used as I have a digital copy.

Is this a sound practice? I searched on ISO and did not come up with any hits on the forum. I do realize that I am asking for an opinion. Hopefully that is allowed here.

Thank you
Zenrebel33

dcoke22

Re: Makemkv ISO

Post by dcoke22 » Sat Aug 17, 2024 5:43 pm

Current versions of MakeMKV will create .iso files of DVDs, but it won't create .iso files for blu-rays or UHDs. It will, however, create a (decrypted) backup folder of a blu-ray or UHD.

Choosing to store .iso files/backup folders or the resulting .mkv files is up to you. From a practical perspective, there's probably not much difference since you're very unlikely to burn out a disc from an .iso file in the future. Lots of people prefer the .mkv files since it allows them to get the metadata correct for the file (naming the movie, identifying commentary tracks, etc.). Some people prefer storing the .iso/backup folder since that preservers the disc menus and stuff.

Whatever works best for you.