Play (decryption only) license?

Everything related to MakeMKV
henryjfry

Play (decryption only) license?

Post by henryjfry » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:34 pm

Ive been interested in makemkv for a while for use alongside Kodi for bluray playback.

However the current license is a little steep for that purpose alone.
Would you consider a lighter licence for us Linux and pi folk who might be interested in playback only?

As it stands, if I get it working I probably wouldn't consider paying for a license unless I could also verify UHD also worked. And my Linux box needs a kernel update and I would need to borrow a UHD disc before that happens.
While it's still in beta definitely.

But at about half what it is now I might consider that for the convenience.
I'm not really interested in ripping any blurays if I can play them.

I do think a play only license could find a market especially now there is limited pi support.
It wouldn't take much development work I don't think to have something to allow Blu-ray playback that would attract osmc users

Maybe even worth talking to Sam over at OSMC.

jinx100

Re: Play (decryption only) license?

Post by jinx100 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:02 am

This is entirely up to Mike, of course.

For my 2 cents, decryption is about 90% of what MakeMKV does. Making a movie file is fairly simple comparatively.

The license is permanent so it works for future versions and past versions of MakeMKV. There is no "annual renewal fee." I bought mine for $50 long ago and now it is $60 so my advice is to buy now before inflation strikes again. Still it is less than a full tank of gasoline.