DVD subtitles

Everything related to MakeMKV
HairyScot

DVD subtitles

Post by HairyScot » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:32 am

Just downloaded MakeMKV Beta and am really impressed.
Just one question, and I apologise if it has been asked before but I could find nothing when I searched.
Just converted Start Trek TOS Disc 1 and I find that subtitles are enabled by default on the MKV files and that some players do not provide an option to change this so I get danish on the screen.
Is there any way to have MakeMKV switch off subtitles as default?

Big Fat Tony

Re: DVD subtitles

Post by Big Fat Tony » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:54 pm

At the mo there is no way to turn this off by default, but you can use mkvpropedit to edit the flags.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... tles#p7632

One thing of note, I use XBMC to play all my video and that by default also selects the first track of subtitles. VLC plays stuff fine though.

HairyScot

Post by HairyScot » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanks Tony.

While searching for a download site for MKVPROPEDIT I found lots of references to MKVTOOLKIT and MKVTOOLNIX.
Are these related?
Where is best place to get MKVPROPEDIT?

Big Fat Tony

Post by Big Fat Tony » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:19 pm

Yeah, thats right. MKV Toolnix contains propedit and a few other tools for playing with MKV files

edit: get it here
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... ml#windows

attilag78

Post by attilag78 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:19 am

Big Fat Tony wrote:At the mo there is no way to turn this off by default, but you can use mkvpropedit to edit the flags.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... tles#p7632

One thing of note, I use XBMC to play all my video and that by default also selects the first track of subtitles. VLC plays stuff fine though.
You can turn subtitles on and off at your will with XBMC via the OSD menu.

attilag78

Post by attilag78 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:23 am

HairyScot wrote:Just downloaded MakeMKV Beta and am really impressed.
Just one question, and I apologise if it has been asked before but I could find nothing when I searched.
Just converted Start Trek TOS Disc 1 and I find that subtitles are enabled by default on the MKV files and that some players do not provide an option to change this so I get danish on the screen.
Is there any way to have MakeMKV switch off subtitles as default?
You decide in MakeMKV whether you wanna include subtitles or not when ripping the disc to MKV (expand the title, uncheck subtitle). Nevertheless, these subs aren't burnt in. If you have a player (software?) that doesn't let you turn subtitles on/off, I'm sorry but you must use something really crappy thing. As referred earlier, VLC is perfect for the job (or XBMC, Boxee, I think MPC-HC, as well, I don't really know the latter).