Delay or no delay?

Everything related to MakeMKV
BansheeX

Delay or no delay?

Post by BansheeX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:36 pm

I've been ripping a lot of my DVDs to my HD and am trying to get as archival quality as possible. Yesterday, I noticed something odd being reported by mediainfo on files made by MakeMKV on my Batman TAS discs. This is what the audio section looks like:

Code: Select all

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Codec ID                         : A_AC3
Duration                         : 22mn 20s
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 192 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Video delay                      : -75ms
Stream size                      : 30.7 MiB (4%)
Title                            : 2/0
Language                         : English
There is a -75ms video delay attribute that mkvtoolnix won't produce rebuilding the same data. I dug around the internet and found this:

http://www.mpucoder.com/guides/delaymyth.html

I don't know which behavior is right, I just thought I'd point out something I thought was suspicious in case it was a bug in the way you interpret VOB data.

setarip_old

Re: Delay or no delay?

Post by setarip_old » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi!

Do the files created by MakeMKV play back properly (in synch)? That's really all you need to be concerned with...

BansheeX

Post by BansheeX » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:11 pm

I can't really discern any appreciable playback difference in this case, but it could produce more noticeable problems in other discs. I don't have thousands of discs to test with, so it might be worth a proactive fix (if indeed it is a bug).

Another strange difference that seems somewhat cosmetic on the surface is that Makemkv gives the video data a "BVOP = Yes" tag and that same data rebuilt with mkvtoolnix gives the video data a "BVOP = No" tag. I know the tag is related to a frame type, but I have no idea how or if it influences playback.

mike admin

Post by mike admin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:27 am

There is no such thing as "audio or video delay" in MKV, in MKV every frame is timestamped. Try a test - put both files through any remuxer, like mkvtoolnix, and you will get identical output.

BansheeX

Post by BansheeX » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:50 pm

So then what's the explanation for why a MakeMKV-built file reports video delay in MediaInfo and a mkvtoolnix-built file doesn't? The reports should be identical because the data being handled is the same. If indeed the playback is identical, then there's still the issue of one these file's spitting out false and confusing attributes.