Makemkv and Video Issues

Everything related to MakeMKV
cburbs

Makemkv and Video Issues

#1 Post by cburbs » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:08 pm

Ok so I can't seem to figure out where the problem is but my last 5-10 rips with Makemkv result in video issues like the following:

Is the problem in the software/blu ray drive/hard drive it is getting stored on.

I did recently rebuild my PC and this is when the video issues started. Blu ray drive is the same one....the storage drive is a replacement drive.

Any suggestions....

setarip_old

Re: Makemkv and Video Issues

#2 Post by setarip_old » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:37 am

Hi!

You might try running a cleaning disc on your Blu-ray drive. Maxell makes one that sells for about $10US...

Romansh

#3 Post by Romansh » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:44 am

Would that be before or after re-encoding with HandBrake (or both)?

cburbs

#4 Post by cburbs » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:26 pm

setarip_old wrote:Hi!

You might try running a cleaning disc on your Blu-ray drive. Maxell makes one that sells for about $10US...
Will try that....

cburbs

#5 Post by cburbs » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:28 pm

Romansh wrote:Would that be before or after re-encoding with HandBrake (or both)?
I thought it was after Handbrake but now I found out it is before HB and after HB.....but not in the same spots.

These were all my BRs recently. I did do a std DVD yesterday but haven't had time to watch it to see if it does the same thing.

I guess I can test a std DVD to see if it is the BR rom drive as I have a std dvd rom drive in this PC as well. The problem is you don't know which spots the video issues occur.

Woodstock

#6 Post by Woodstock » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:56 pm

If it always occurs in the same place when playing things back, it might be the file... but, if it occurs at different places each time you play the file, it could simply be that the machine gets "busy" and doesn't feed the data fast enough.

In the case of programs like MakeMKV and Handbrake, they're not "time sensitive". That is, if it takes 2 seconds to retrieve the next frame, they'll wait. They should be creating files accurately.

But play back software is trying to render things in "real time", so delays in getting data cause the problems you're seeing. It would be especially bad in places that have a lot of movement.

cburbs

#7 Post by cburbs » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:21 pm

So in the file shown the issue occurs in the same places. If I encode it in HB then those type of issues may occur in different spots in the movie. I don't believe it is software playback I believe it is something else but not sure what it is.

My thoughts BR Rom/Hard drive problems/Makemkv issues.

I ripped a std DVD with my DVD Rom and BR Rom with Makemkv but haven't had time yet to go thru each file. It would be easier if a program could go thru each file and find those types of errors since I don't know where they will occur I have to watch a full movie.

bkboudreau

#8 Post by bkboudreau » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:08 pm

After the last update I noticed my rips started to display graphical glitches (Bleeding/Pixelation). I have played the discs as well as opened the stream files (m2ts) in VLC and the graphical issues aren't seen. I have also used mkvmerge to try and remux the video file but the glitches remained.

I doubt my post is helpful but maybe it may indicate that there is an issue in the latest build.

Cheers,
Brad

mike admin

#9 Post by mike admin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:17 am

Try making a disc backup with MakeMKV and see if any hashcheck errors show up. In backup mode MakeMKV can verify that the disc was copied without errors.