Can't get MKV to encode lossless Audio - HELP!!

Everything related to MakeMKV
beat-breaker

Can't get MKV to encode lossless Audio - HELP!!

#1 Post by beat-breaker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:54 am

I've just started with Make MKV so just getting up to speed. In general it seems very easy to use, except that I can't get it to rip the lossless audio files.

I'm all set-up to stream multichannel lossless PCM Audio to my Hi-Fi (so decoding by the computer, not the AV Receiver).
This works fine when playing Bluray discs or Bluray ISO's both via Total Media Theater / WMC using TMT front end and via my PS3 too.

But when I make an MKV of a Bluray which contains lossless audio the following happens:
- read the disc etc etc
- I select a title to rip, and click to expand details I see Video type (Mpeg 4 in this case)
- then underneath the video info, there is a tick box (not checked) saying Audio DTS-HD lossless
- I can expland that further and get another tick box (checked this time) saying DTS 3/2+1

I then manually check the DTS lossless box, and make MKV
When I play back I don't get lossless audio, I get the DTS one.
When I look at several movies, it's the same story the lossless box's are never checked and if I check them and rip I don't get lossless.

What I want to have is a perfectly lossless copy (audio and video) of a Bluray movie. I want just the movie not anything else, hence trying to avoid ISO's and wanting to use MKV's

I'm assuming I'm doing something stupid, but can someone tell me what please!!

crowfax

Re: Can't get MKV to encode lossless Audio - HELP!!

#2 Post by crowfax » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:38 pm

It sounds like an issue with the player, not the conversion. If you told MakeMKV to take the lossless stream from the disc then it has. It doesn't have the ability to mess with the streams. I can tell you that if you tick the DTS-HD box you don't need to keep the DTS box ticked, as it's part of the DTS-HD stream anyway, so you're just increasing the space for no gain.

You should check that your playback software can handle DTS-HD from MKV files, that's all I can think the problem might be. Perhaps someone who has more experience with DTS-HD will post soon to help.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox

Romansh

#3 Post by Romansh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:26 pm

beat-breaker wrote:When I play back I don't get lossless audio, I get the DTS one.
1) how do you determine whether you're getting the lossless track vs. the lossy DTS core?

2) what are you using to play your MKV file?

beat-breaker

#4 Post by beat-breaker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:12 pm

I've tried using TotalMedia Theater and WMP using the DivX Plus codecs that allow MKV to play on WMP. I can play Blurays on either player and get the lossless audio as Multichannel PCM.

I check the signal by looking at the info display on the player and also I can look at the signal input details on my AV Receiver which shows me bit rate, depth, number channels. When it's DTS or DD it will decode, anything lossless I have to stream it MPCM so the player has to decode the HD Audio.

Romansh

#5 Post by Romansh » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:12 pm

You need to take the player out of the equation by using something like MediaInfo to check whether the MKV files include the HD audio or not.

For DTS-HD you'll need to use the official GUI under OS X too (MediaInfo Mac / Media Inspector doesn't provide enough information to differentiate DTS-HD from DTS, especially in 0.7.36.0 and earlier).

Edited: fix inaccurate statement as per the conversation below.
Last edited by Romansh on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike admin

#6 Post by mike admin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:45 am

Romansh wrote:For DTS-HD you'll need something that specifies DTS vs. DTS-HD (MediaInfo doesn't),
Are you sure? Last time I've checked, mediainfo showed all details about DTS-HD properly. In fact, it's the only open source tool I'm aware of that can parse and display DTS-HD sub-headers.

Romansh

#7 Post by Romansh » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:55 pm

mike admin wrote:
Romansh wrote:For DTS-HD you'll need something that specifies DTS vs. DTS-HD (MediaInfo doesn't),
Are you sure? Last time I've checked, mediainfo showed all details about DTS-HD properly. In fact, it's the only open source tool I'm aware of that can parse and display DTS-HD sub-headers.
Doh! It looks like the GUI I've been using (MediaInfo Mac, now Media Inspector) is to blame. It's preferred to the official GUI by quite a few Mac users though.

Sorry about the confusion.