Subtitles and HDR

Everything related to MakeMKV
gogginguy

Subtitles and HDR

#1 Post by gogginguy » Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:00 pm

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - HDR will only play HDR when subtitles are off. This is concerning given that subtitles are a part of the movie in certain scenes with actors speaking a foreign language.

I'm playing through Emby. Does anyone know how to enable the standard English subtitles without losing the HDR signal?

d00zah

Re: Subtitles and HDR

#2 Post by d00zah » Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:15 pm

gogginguy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:00 pm
Close Encounters of the Third Kind - HDR will only play HDR when subtitles are off. This is concerning given that subtitles are a part of the movie in certain scenes with actors speaking a foreign language.

I'm playing through Emby. Does anyone know how to enable the standard English subtitles without losing the HDR signal?
How does the physical disc play? As MakeMKV only 'repackages' what's on the disc, this would seem to be a player problem?

dcoke22

#3 Post by dcoke22 » Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:41 pm

I don't have any experience with Emby, but could it be transcoding the video when subtitles are on? Plex does that sometimes depending on the capabilities of the client device.

gogginguy

#4 Post by gogginguy » Tue Aug 27, 2024 5:37 pm

I have no way of playing the disk, at this time.

Apparently, Emby cannot add subtitles through Direct Play which is the only way to get HDR.

So, at this time, is it possible to tweak MakeMKV to burn the subtitles into the HDR picture? I've tried a couple of things, but the ultimate results are the same:

DirectPlay = HDR, but no subtitles.
Transcoding = subtitle options, but no HDR.