What is current key?

Everything related to MakeMKV
slipjohn1

What is current key?

#1 Post by slipjohn1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:53 am

I can't find the current key. How do I buy it? I can't find a link to that either. I tried to buy it a long time ago but it wanted waaayyyy too much personal info. Why can't I just put in a CC and buy it? Can anyone help? The key I have says expired and I should dl latest version, but I have latest. Thanks for any help

Woodstock

Re: What is current key?

#2 Post by Woodstock » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:04 am

The current key is where it always is...

"How to buy" is a link not found on the website, despite numerous requests to Mike to add it. In Help, there is a "Purchase" option, which will load the page /buy/ with information.

As for the "too much personal information", blame credit card companies. They insist on having a lot of it to validate you are who you say you are.

You also no longer have the option of using PayPal, because PP has decided that ripping software is linked to cancer in rats, global warming, and acts of terrorism, so they won't allow you to use PP to pay for it.

needtotalk7

#3 Post by needtotalk7 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:59 am

not exactly related but i actually bought the program and i got the key code but i try to enter it and it keeps saying that it is invalid. Do you guys know what i might be doing wrong or if i have to wait a certain amount of time? its been about 16 hrs since i bought it...

yorgo

#4 Post by yorgo » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:30 am

needtotalk7 wrote:not exactly related but i actually bought the program and i got the key code but i try to enter it and it keeps saying that it is invalid. Do you guys know what i might be doing wrong or if i have to wait a certain amount of time? its been about 16 hrs since i bought it...
I recently bought a key, dropped the key code into the "register" popup box, restarted MakeMKV and worked fine immediately. Make sure you copy and paste only the key code characters (no additional characters, spaces, etc.) and make sure to restart the program. Good luck!

Woodstock

#5 Post by Woodstock » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Depending on the email program (and sometimes your browser), copy/paste can silently take formatting codes that break things. It's something I have to deal with at work...

The best work-around I have found for users is to open a notepad.exe window, paste the key into it, then highlight it in notepad and copy it to the buffer again. Notepad doesn't "do" format codes, so it throws them away if they're pasted in. Then when you copy the result back into the buffer, it's "clean".

cptgloval

#6 Post by cptgloval » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:23 pm

My trial key says it is expiring. I saw the link you posted a few years back that made the key good until July 2016. Will there be a new trail key made?

Woodstock

#7 Post by Woodstock » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:03 pm

Yes, Mike generates new keys as needed. Not always on the same day the last key expires, though, so you may have to set your system date back to start MakeMKV in the mean time.

A new version is expected "soon", but he hasn't said when.

dsummerbell10

#8 Post by dsummerbell10 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:44 am

Paypal would sure be nice to have as a option but unfortunately they're way to strict.

blufred

#9 Post by blufred » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:27 am

Woodstock wrote:The current key is where it always is...

"How to buy" is a link not found on the website, despite numerous requests to Mike to add it. In Help, there is a "Purchase" option, which will load the page http://makemkv.com/buy/ with information.

As for the "too much personal information", blame credit card companies. They insist on having a lot of it to validate you are who you say you are.

You also no longer have the option of using PayPal, because PP has decided that ripping software is linked to cancer in rats, global warming, and acts of terrorism, so they won't allow you to use PP to pay for it.
I do not feel that this is ripping software. It is the only sane way to get a digital copy to my WD player and external HDD. If I get tired of the film I delete it. I'm not burning Blu rays for friends. Amazon allows downloads of these precious movies, but only to devices that are online and are registered, you cannot actually move or touch the file. When will the stupid movie industry get it!! I'll pay a "rental fee and a small "Rights fee" and view the film in my digital world. 1080P or 4K and the beautiful sound. Make MKV is ok by me.
Fred.......blufred

mutosan

#10 Post by mutosan » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:13 am

It can be used as a ripping software but in my eyes paypal gets more bad every day. Just because I dont own a creditcard I cant buy certain things over paypal and now I had to
buy makemkv by wiretransfer with a plus of 20euros expenses. Its not makemkv's fault and I agree totaly with blufred as I do make digital copies of my DVD and bluerays to use it with Plex. In our country it is even allowed by law to have a digital copy of what you own.

In overall for such payments now adays there are to many and to much expenses you have to pay.

blufred

#11 Post by blufred » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:56 pm

mutosan wrote:It can be used as a ripping software but in my eyes paypal gets more bad every day. Just because I dont own a creditcard I cant buy certain things over paypal and now I had to
buy makemkv by wiretransfer with a plus of 20euros expenses. Its not makemkv's fault and I agree totaly with blufred as I do make digital copies of my DVD and bluerays to use it with Plex. In our country it is even allowed by law to have a digital copy of what you own.

In overall for such payments now adays there are to many and to much expenses you have to pay.
PAYPAL is the best secure payment method around. Been with them since they started.

yorgo

#12 Post by yorgo » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:10 pm

blufred wrote:
mutosan wrote:It can be used as a ripping software but in my eyes paypal gets more bad every day. Just because I dont own a creditcard I cant buy certain things over paypal and now I had to

PAYPAL is the best secure payment method around. Been with them since they started.
Unfortunately, not going to be an option. Any account that smacks of "copyright infringement" gets deleted. BTW, I'm not arguing that it is copyright infringement.