Best Way to Increase Rip Speed?

Everything related to MakeMKV
tech_derek

Best Way to Increase Rip Speed?

#1 Post by tech_derek » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:49 pm

Hello folks!

I'm using MakeMKV to rip BluRays on a Dell Windows 7 laptop.

I'm using an external Pawtec USB2 bluray drive.

MakeMKV is reporting that I'm achieving a 2x read speed.

What are my options for increasing that speed? Are there better drives? Do I need to get involved with removing riplock?

Thanks for your comments. :D

Woodstock

Re: Best Way to Increase Rip Speed?

#2 Post by Woodstock » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:11 pm

MakeMKV will rip at whatever speed the drive will send the data; I've seen as much as 10-17x on some DVDs and 8x on BDs, using an old 2-core Celeron using Samsung drives.

If you search for your drive's model number and "riplock", you can see if it actually has riplock, and if anyone has revised firmware to remove it. But a lot of drives from manufacturers like Panasonic have a setting that limits speed to keep the sound level down... and there are utilities to disable that, so they can run full speed.

mackleruthie

#3 Post by mackleruthie » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:05 am

Woodstock wrote:MakeMKV will rip at whatever speed the drive will send the data; I've seen as much as 10-17x on some DVDs and 8x on BDs, using an old 2-core Celeron using Samsung drives.

If you search for your drive's model number and "riplock", you can see if it actually has riplock, and if anyone has revised firmware to remove it. But a lot of drives from manufacturers like Panasonic have a setting that limits speed to keep the sound level down... and there are utilities to disable that, so they can run full speed.
I'm also looking into this. Can you suggest a utility that you know performs well? Thanks.

Woodstock

#4 Post by Woodstock » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:04 pm

The Panasonic utility to remove quiet mode is on their website, according to messages posted here previously. It is part of the utility disk that is normally sent with retail versions of drives, but, as of the last report, is a Windows-only utility.