Why doesn't MakeMKV rip advertisements and trailers?

Everything related to MakeMKV
NickNewb

Why doesn't MakeMKV rip advertisements and trailers?

Post by NickNewb »

Hello, apologies if this has been asked before, and I'm sure everyone will say it's totally pointless to rip that junk, but I'm just trying to satisfy a curiosity and understand how things work.

So I recently placed the USA 2D edition of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles blu-ray movie into an Xbox One. Upon placing it in the drive, an advertisement immediately began playing, and when I pressed the button on the Xbox One controller to fast forward, it displayed that I was watching 'Title 55, Chapter 1.' After this advertisement played, then a trailer for some Transformers movie played, and it too indicated that it was Title 55.

When I ripped that blu-ray disc using MakeMKV 1.9.0 (Windows), and checking all of the boxes to rip every single last thing possible, I never got any .mkv files with that advertisement or trailer in it. I ended up with about 20 titles. Why would those ads be labeled Title 55 if there were only 20 titles on the disc?

Not that I care about ripping that stuff, but I'm just curious to know why MakeMKV didn't rip that. Are those thing stored on the disc differently?
Woodstock

Re: Why doesn't MakeMKV rip advertisements and trailers?

Post by Woodstock »

A lot depends upon your configuration settings - what do you have for the "Minimum title length" in preferences?

The default is 120 seconds, which means any title shorter than that would NOT be shown to you. You will see it go by in the status window as it is read, but it won't count in the title numbers.
NickNewb

Post by NickNewb »

Woodstock wrote:what do you have for the "Minimum title length" in preferences?
Hm, actually, I have set it to 0. And when ripping the blu-ray, I did in fact end up with some very small files, one of which was only 281kb and 5 seconds long. It was a simple image that said 'Please put on your 3D glasses.' (Although this was the 2D edition of the movie, there was one special feature in 3D).

Curiously too, I also ended up with another small .mkv file (214 kb) that doesn't play in VLC Media Player. Are the FBI warnings usually stored as static images and there is some code stored on the disc somewhere telling the blu-ray player to display that *image* for a set number of seconds? (As opposed to that 'Put your 3D glasses on' alert which must've been stored on the disc as an actual video, not an image?)
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

With Bluray, it is possible to assembly sections of video/audio through Java code. Personally, I don't know examples of that, but I haven't used a "BD player" in so long, I don't know what goes on with a modern BD. Part of the reason I go direct to media server with everything is to get rid of annoyances like forced trailers/warnings. ;)