Feature Request: Queue multiple DVD/BD drives for ripping

Everything related to MakeMKV
dchamb

Feature Request: Queue multiple DVD/BD drives for ripping

Post by dchamb »

I use makemkv almost exclusively now because it has proven to be the most stable utility in this space. However, there is at least one feature a competing product has that would be fabulous to have in makemkv.

I have 2 DVD/BD drives in my desktop and makemkv can only utilize one drive at a time in a single session. I would like to be able to queue up both drives to be ripped sequentially during the same session. It would be a huge convenience to set it up and walk away and end up with both discs copied to the folder when I come back.

Any chance of getting that added?

Thanks

Dale
Woodstock

Re: Feature Request: Queue multiple DVD/BD drives for rippin

Post by Woodstock »

Until Mike does something like that, you CAN run multiple instances of MakeMKV at the same time. Unfortunately, they'll all try to access every optical disk in the system when they're initializing, so it can get interesting during disk changes...

A 2-core system can easily handle two instances pulling data from BDs at the full rate the drives can handle, so long as what you are writing to will go that fast.

I would actually prefer having one session capable of managing multiple drives simultaneously.... But that's because I often have to do a box of disks at a time.... rightstuf.com just has TOO good of a selection! :roll:
TheGmer

Post by TheGmer »

Running multiple instances is no problem for running movies. but when working with TV shows, it would be very useful if you could lock MakeMKV to a single drive. Even if you had to install multiple copies of MakeMKV, so that each copy would only work with 1 drive.
dchamb

Post by dchamb »

I've been able to run multiple instances of makemkv and get it to work with ripping multiple DVD/BD disc combinations. But because makemkv interrogates all the input drives it makes for a quirky, jerky startup. If it just informed you of the drives in the system before interrogating the drive to see what disk is installed and letting you make the choice it would be cleaner.