Please add the ability to queue up multiple drives

Everything related to MakeMKV
MakeMeHappy

Please add the ability to queue up multiple drives

Post by MakeMeHappy »

I have three Blu-ray capable external drives on my PC and it would be a HUGE addition to MakeMKV if it had the functionality to queue up several drives instead of only ripping one at a time.
Woodstock

Re: Please add the ability to queue up multiple drives

Post by Woodstock »

You do realize that you can run multiple copies of MakeMKV at the same time, don't you?

Although there are some special steps that Mac users have to go through, and it can be interesting during a disk change (the copy of MakeMKV that has finished its disk will try to read the other disks to see what's available to work on), it does work.
Gadgetman!

Post by Gadgetman! »

Not that special...

We just need to use the 'New MakeMKV instance' choice in the 'MakeMKV' menu...
;-)

Disc changes can be a pain, though...
(Swapping the DVD in a 'free' drive while all instances are busy seems slightly less bothersome.)
Mac Mini, 2005 with superdrive, 2GB RAM, 80GB SSD, Core2Duo 2.16GHz CPU...
2 x LG USB DVD-drives and 'old spiteful' an IDE-based DVD-reader from a desktop connected to the internals of an old FW-HDD.
Writes Sci-fi:
http://www.planetfurry.com/~anthony/
HTMLSpinnr

Post by HTMLSpinnr »

Fair warning - unless your target storage can handle 3 drives worth of I/O, running more than two instances may result in MakeMKV waiting for your target drive to complete it's write. Depending on the file system (i.e. NTFS), you may also end up with incredibly fragmented target files if the targets are all the same.

A single SATA-II 1TB WD Black drive will beg for mercy with two simultaneous "up to 16X" DVD reads, or a DVD + BD read.
captain

Post by captain »

Which is why QUEUING would be a nice feature. With proper queuing, the full power of the CPU, blu-ray drive, and HD could be utilized and focused on each rip, resulting in data streams that would be more contiguous, and disc swaps that would be more consistent (i.e. two discs would be *completed* before the third begins, so you could go in and swap out 1 & 2, without having any down-time, or hanging around watching three instances of competing MakeMKVs).

Link this up with http://thetvdb.com/wiki/index.php?title=Programmers_API for naming automation, and MakeMKV would be THE killer app for TV series ripping! ;-)
captain

Post by captain »

Which is why QUEUING would be a nice feature. With proper queuing, the full power of the CPU, blu-ray drive, and HD could be utilized and focused on each rip, resulting in data streams that would be more contiguous, and disc swaps that would be more consistent (i.e. two discs would be *completed* before the third begins, so you could go in and swap out 1 & 2, without having any down-time, or hanging around watching three instances of competing MakeMKVs).

Link this up with http://thetvdb.com/wiki/index.php?title=Programmers_API for naming automation, and MakeMKV would be THE killer app for TV series ripping! ;-)
KnightCat

Post by KnightCat »

So, I was going to ask about queuing and searched first, finding this. I see that this is a pretty old thread though. Did anything ever come of this?