I would like to buy a license, but not through Avangate

Everything related to MakeMKV
CurrencyTrader

I would like to buy a license, but not through Avangate

Post by CurrencyTrader »

Hello,
Thank you for this great piece of software. After a conclusive trial, I would like to buy it, however I have reservations about the processor you are using. I have proof that Avangate is doing country-based price discrimination. That's like the region codes on DVDs. Boooh. I will not spend a penny through thise thieves.

I used two IP addresses to test my hypothesis. A US IP address and a Canadian IP address. I added MakeMKV to the shopping cart of both browser (one of them using the Onion Router). The price in the USA is 50 USD. The price in Canada is 60.70 CAD. The currency converter at oanda.com tells me that 50 USD are equivalent to 49.38 CAD today. Other currency converters yield very similar results. The bottom line: the thieves at Avangate are charging a 23% mark up!

Please respect your customers and let the customer decide in what currency they pay. It is my business where and how I do my currency conversion. Paypal's currency conversion commission is about 2.5%, not 23%, and so are the major credit cards. Moreover, if I hold a credit card or funds denominated in USD, why should I go through a currency conversion?

Please accept Paypal directly, ditch Avangate!
dougmckeen

Re: I would like to buy a license, but not through Avangate

Post by dougmckeen »

I'm with the CurrencyTrader on this. I just went to purchase makemkv and saw avangate lists the price at $62.64 CAD. The US and Canadian dollars have been close to parity for months.

mike, I'd love to give you your portion of $50 USD after avangate take their percentage for processing, but I'm against giving avangate an extra $12.
SidebandSamurai

Post by SidebandSamurai »

Here Here,

I third that post!

Sideband Samurai
StefaanD

Post by StefaanD »

CurrencyTrader wrote:
immerse wrote: Are you sure you posted in the right thread?
Guess you've been fooled by a signature spammer :lol:

I've have checked Avangate yet for payment, will soon, and wonder how they rate to Euro's
captain

Post by captain »

Just wait until you actually (try to) complete a transaction with Avangate. Boy howdy, it's a nightmare! They'll claim "Something isn't quite right. Please send your full name, physical home address, SSN, DOB, thumbprint, iris and retina scan, and DNA sample to complete your transaction." And then, they'll still deny Mike his money!

But Avangate is what Mike has chosen to use. Let's stop pestering him about it.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

captain wrote:But Avangate is what Mike has chosen to use. Let's stop pestering him about it.
Well said. Overall, Avangate is one of the best e-commerce providers out there. Obviously, issues may happen from time to time but in every case they were able to resolve the problem in a timely manner.