MakeMKV can't be used with admin privileges

Everything related to MakeMKV
Joris

MakeMKV can't be used with admin privileges

Post by Joris »

Hi,

if I start MakeMKV with admin privileges, MakeMKV finds no disc drives and files can't be opened anymore (as without admin privileges).

Take a look here (both with "Log debug messages" enabled).

Without admin privileges:

With admin privileges:

My system:
- Windows XP x64 Edition SP2
- 3 optical drives (2 DVD-ROM/R-PATA, 1 BD-R/SATA)
- Panasonic DVD-RAM Driver v5.3.0.1 (MEIUDF-5.3.0.1_XP-X64_EN.exe) for UDF 2.5 support installed

After starting MakeMKV with admin privileges I have to reboot my system, because a lot of apps can't be started anymore - I suppose in this state (even after closing MakeMKV) something is wrong with HD write access.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
Joris

Re: MakeMKV can't be used with admin privileges

Post by Joris »

With MakeMKV 1.4.6 the problem still exist. :(

After starting MakeMKV I have to reset my PC, because applications can't be started any more - even if MakeMKV was closed. 'makemkvcon.exe' is still running in background and blocking anything else. :roll:

I think MakeMKV is incompatible with Panasonic DVD-RAM driver.

This driver is needed by Windows XP x64 to handle UDF 2.5 and is working flawlessly with any other application. So is there anyone, who can check this out? As I wrote above this driver (which can be used with any DVD/BD drive, available for Windows XP/Vista x86/x64) can be downloaded here. Password (german: 'Passwort') for downloading is noted on this page, too.

Thanks again.
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

Any reason why not to just use the Toshiba UDF2.5 driver. So far it works flawless on both my 32X and 64X systems with XP SP3
Joris

Post by Joris »

Yep, I know about this driver, but I thought the Toshiba UDF 2.5 driver isn't available for 64-bit environment (Windows XP x64 Edition). If I was wrong, where can I get the 64-bit version?
NomadCF

Post by NomadCF »

It does but you need just need to re-adjust the inf for 64x registry entries.
Joris

Post by Joris »

OK, I just downloaded these Toshiba drivers:

(1) DVD-RAM Driver - Toshiba - Windows XP - 5.0.2.5 (dvdram-de-20090227140958.zip) (download link here)
(2) UDF 2.5 File System Driver for HD-DVD - Toshiba - Windows XP - 1.0.0.2 (direct download link here)

But which archive contains the right driver? And first of all, how do I need to modify the inf file to get it work on Windows XP x64 Edition?

Unfortunately Google was not my friend on this question.
Joris

Post by Joris »

I did some additional tests and I found out that the problem mentioned above still exists even if no UDF 2.5 driver is installed at all - nevertheless I'm very interested in the Toshiba driver for 64-bit.

If I start MakeMKV with admin privileges 'makemkvcon.exe' still runs in background (after closing MakeMKV) and blocks other applications to start. Without admin privileges 'makemkvcon.exe' does the same, but it doesn't block other applications. In both cases I can't use MakeMKV, because all menu options are greyed out. Strange. :(

This problem exist since I updated to MakeMKV v1.4.5.

I would like to test some older versions, too, but I don't know where I could get them. Any ideas?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Just as a side note - MakeMKV does NOT require UDF driver as it has built-in UDF parser.
Kurtnoise

Post by Kurtnoise »

get the same issue with Windows 7 rc...makemkv works fine on Vista on the same machine. So, what's wrong ?