Makemkv causes a/v sync problems on at least Dune players.

Everything related to MakeMKV
Inssomniak

Makemkv causes a/v sync problems on at least Dune players.

Post by Inssomniak »

So nearly all of my DVD backups with makeMKV have an A/V sync problem that gets progressively worse as the file is played. The player is a Dune HDI Smart D1. I dont see the A/V sync problem on software players (or its very unnoticeable), or on the WDTV live box, although at times the audio drops out for a fraction of a second. The makeMKV produced MKV can be over 2 seconds of sync loss by the end of a 1 hour and 45 minute video. My bluray backups are great though! all have perfect sync.

An MKV created with dvdfab on windows (passthru mode) does not exhibit any playback problems on either player. A/V sync is perfect throughout the whole file playback.
twa000

Re: Makemkv causes a/v sync problems on at least Dune player

Post by twa000 »

Inssomniak wrote:So nearly all of my DVD backups with makeMKV have an A/V sync problem that gets progressively worse as the file is played. The player is a Dune HDI Smart D1. I dont see the A/V sync problem on software players (or its very unnoticeable), or on the WDTV live box, although at times the audio drops out for a fraction of a second. The makeMKV produced MKV can be over 2 seconds of sync loss by the end of a 1 hour and 45 minute video. My bluray backups are great though! all have perfect sync.

An MKV created with dvdfab on windows (passthru mode) does not exhibit any playback problems on either player. A/V sync is perfect throughout the whole file playback.
Are the mkv's on the Dune (internal), attached directly? or via NAS or PC? If networked attached via LAN or WiFi?

I have ALL my DVD`s and BluRay's ripped to mkv on 3 NAS boxes via Makemkv and then networked (LAN) to my Dune Prime 3.0 (purchased over 2 years ago) - I have never had any lip sync problems (whatever the firmware level) except when I first had the Dune and tried to network via WiFi and also network plug - both couldn't handle the BluRay bandwidth requirement and I had lipsync and stuttering problems - I then got out the powerdrill and installed a LAN connection into the lounge.

The dune goes via my Onkyo receiver to the Plasma (hdmi -> onkyo -> hdmi -> Plasma.

You might want to search on mpcclub.com but you need a more complex argument than lipsync as this has been a major firmware issue on the Dune.
Inssomniak

Post by Inssomniak »

All files are played back from an internal hard drive. Not all MKVs do it, and an identical rip of the same movie plays fine on the Dune if I use a different program. Im not sure I can come up with any more complex of an argument. Ive been running tests for 3 days on this issue and will continue to with more discs that I have problems with.
twa000

Post by twa000 »

Inssomniak wrote:All files are played back from an internal hard drive. Not all MKVs do it, and an identical rip of the same movie plays fine on the Dune if I use a different program. Im not sure I can come up with any more complex of an argument. Ive been running tests for 3 days on this issue and will continue to with more discs that I have problems with.
You might look at http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread ... psync+dune
and http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread ... psync+dune
Inssomniak

Post by Inssomniak »

Yes Ive seen all those threads. The only way I can stop a/v sync drift is to use another program such as dvdfab to create the MKV. I really am not sure if the problem is with the Dune, or the makeMKV, but what cant be explained is why 2 different programs produce the same MKV files, and why the Dune player hates the makeMKV one.

Its not really a big deal, I liked makeMKV because it ran on OSX. I brought it up as a possible bug. I will just have to use a windows machine to rip the discs instead.