Full disk backup avatar doesnt play on player (Dune)

Everything related to MakeMKV
Inssomniak

Full disk backup avatar doesnt play on player (Dune)

Post by Inssomniak »

Hey all, using MakeMKV 1.6.12 Mac OSX, I used the backup disk feature to backup my copy of "Avatar", and my media player (HDI Dune D1) Supports playing the bluray structure back from hard disk, but Avatar shows an error about needing a firmware update and wont play. Other backups of disks work OK, I thought it was the player firmware bug (I have the latest), but they suggested it might be MakeMKV. Does anyone know for sure here? If I browse directly to the stream file it plays back fine.
mike admin

Re: Full disk backup avatar doesnt play on player (Dune)

Post by mike admin »

Inssomniak wrote:Hey all, using MakeMKV 1.6.12 Mac OSX, I used the backup disk feature to backup my copy of "Avatar", and my media player (HDI Dune D1) Supports playing the bluray structure back from hard disk, but Avatar shows an error about needing a firmware update and wont play. Other backups of disks work OK, I thought it was the player firmware bug (I have the latest), but they suggested it might be MakeMKV. Does anyone know for sure here? If I browse directly to the stream file it plays back fine.
It's both. With disc backup, MakeMKV just saves all files as-is, decrypted but without any other changes. What you see is so-called java-based protection present on the disc itself. There are freeware programs to edit BD files and remove such checks.
Inssomniak

Re: Full disk backup avatar doesnt play on player (Dune)

Post by Inssomniak »

Thanks for the reply, After some researching it looks like I have to remove a bd-j player check? Ive been unable to find anything for Mac OSX so far that does this :(