vlc seekbar crashes

Everything related to MakeMKV
microskomp

vlc seekbar crashes

Post by microskomp »

greetings. i LOVE this product! however, the mkv files i create using MakeMKV cause my favorite media player, VLC, to crash when i use the seek function. VLC only crashes when seeking if i play a file created by MakeMKV. all my other MKV files seek just fine. any ideas why this is occuring?...

using:
MakeMKV 1.5.2 beta
VLC 1.0.2 goldeneye
win 7 ultimate 64-bit

jon microskomp
palm springs, ca usa
mike admin

Re: vlc seekbar crashes

Post by mike admin »

VLC bug, latest "nightly" VLC build doesn't crash on seek.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

Hmmmm, I've tried VLC nightly 1.06 and 1.10 and both crash as soon as I touch the slider(well, almost every time.. it may let you slide one time.)

If you don't need the PGS subtitle support use Splash Lite. You can advance the slider with impunity. Only thing is at present it only likes .srt subs. It also has hardware acceleration depending on your GPU.

edit: hmm just downloaded the latest now and tried it. Seems now it takes 3 or 4 seeks to crash. Still Splash Lite you can move the seeker forward/back any which a way and it's solid.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

I keep trying the Nightly builds. It seems like they are making progress with the slider issue on .mkv, until it contains a PGS subtitle. Then it dies as soon as you touch anything.
iso13

Post by iso13 »

Yea, vlc crashes on me as well. I've actually embraced Windows Media Player with the CCCP. Works great.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

So I loaded up WMP. .mkv with PGS subs. It doesn't even know they are there. If I just want to play .mkv Splash Lite plays much smoother than WMP. But it only supports .srt subs. That's the fly in the ointment.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@MilesAhead

Hi!

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, Windows Media Player is also limited to displaying only text-based subtitles...
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

setarip_old wrote:@MilesAhead

Hi!

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, Windows Media Player is also limited to displaying only text-based subtitles...
Guess it's just one of those things we have to wait until it evolves.
MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

I thought I had something for a minute. I got the latest ffdshow. It has config for BluRay subtitles. I play an .mkv with a PGS sub, the VobSub arrow comes up, it sees an English sub is there, I set both that and Haaili media splitter thingy to Show Subtitles. But trying 5 different players I get not one letter of subs. Pretty baffling.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@MIlesAhead

Click on the following link to the Doom9 "ffd tryouts thread":

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1389651

If you read a dozen or so posts starting from the point of entry that I've linked to, I think n(as I have) you'll sense that things are not yet perfect...

MilesAhead

Post by MilesAhead »

Yeah, I installed a VLC pre that showed up on VideoHelp. I thought it may be more stable if they notified that site. SSDD. Plays .mkv as long as you don't touch the slider. But even if you don't touch it at all, as soon as it gets to a PGS subtitle, bye bye. It just closes. Really bizarre!! It's been a long time since I've seen players that fragile. Like maybe back in Win95 days.